Ultra lightweight alcohol stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Gave the stove a quick test today, its not the quickest at 16 minutes for a good rolling boil, it may have been quicker with a windshield and it ran out of fuel halfway through (just needed to give the bottle a quick squeeze but forgot). It is a nice light stove though and with a pot on was very sturdy.

6equqyba.jpg

I used an MSR Titan kettle with 500ml of water for the test, I think just using a cup would've been a lot quicker. So should be great for having a brew, not so good for cooking on.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
16 mins concurs with my test too for 500ml but in doors. i found the remote feed to be very clumsy. when you squeezed in the meths the stove really bloomed up well and would easily boil a lot faster but as the bottle creates a vacuum is sucks out what you squirt in. I dont mind slow stoves as im seldom in a hurry but this one wouldnt give me the confidence it will do the job. A vented feed bottle with gravity feed would improve things no end and i might have a play when i get time.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
A vented feed bottle with gravity feed would improve things no end and i might have a play when i get time.

Have you considered using fish tank parts for this? T - junctions and a one-way check valve, cheap as chips. I suppose its the meths stove version of a heart by-pass

Dunno? Just a thought:dunno:

I look forward to your results

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I keep reading of these 12 minutes burntimes.
My homemade 'whitebox' stove gives me a rolling boil of 500ml in 5 minutes. In a snowpeak 700 ti mug. It burns through exactly 18ml of meths in that time though. I think mine is twice as fast, as I used a holepunch to make the jet holes, and as such they are a larger diameter than the store bought ones. Which are made using a drillbit. [My holes are twice the size of the guys in the video]
But it works brilliantly and is quite difficult to blow out.

Its made from one of the supercool sports injury sprays. With the top cut off of and inverted like this:

[video=youtube;XHggPhzMaPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHggPhzMaPo[/video]

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
yea i find 5-6 mins is the average for a good meths stove or 4 mins for an excellent meths stove. Im sure with some tinkering this thing can get nearer to 8 mins but it will take something special to get me away from carrying a bog standard pressurised pepsi can jobbie. That said, i can watch water boil all day long so time is seldom of the essence.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
White box stove is supposed to be as fast as gas. Guess that means about 3-4 mins. Think my wbs is that fast if sheltered.

I won a Tinny stove. A remote feed solo stove. An earlier model that was sold before the choke hazard models. Done a trial burn but never had a stand for it. My stove is a well machined base, silicone tube attached to a special cap on a little fuel bottle. The wick was a white glass fibre, possibly a silica fibre. It burnt with a feeble flame I thought but was very light. With MBD stoves the aim is fuel efficiency not boil rates. If you're on a long USA style of trek weight of fuel is a bigger problem. One thing remote feed meths stoves are good for is long burn. That's good for trail baking kits. It's a US made UL thing made of what looks like a pop bottle I think but it makes bread and other foods. I think MBD used to sell them but also trail designs too.

I still prefer gas myself. Even my caldera doesn't satisfy my meths stove ambitions. Too bulky. My gas burner lasts up to 7 days on the small can. That's an efficient stove I think.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Minibull Designs used to make a remote feed (birdfeeder) - I have one with one of their carbon felt models (actually have 2 - 1 with "mushroom" head that puts out big heat, and another small "survival" stove I think he called it.) THe birdfeeder takes 8oz bottles, allows air in as fuel flows down the silicon tubing, and burns for ever! Tried it in a SAT for simmering a stew - did a good job too.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
ive come up with a plan for mine. im going to vent the bottle and use a saline drip kit to moderate flow

20130220_145124_zpsac6be64f.jpg

Looks like a good idea, let me know how you get on with it. I will still be using a gas stove when camping but am thinking that the AB13 will make a great back up and ideal for taking on walks as it takes up no room. Now that the topping up problem may be solved its a great little stove, not the fastest but I don't mind waiting for a brew.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Minibull Designs used to make a remote feed (birdfeeder) - I have one with one of their carbon felt models (actually have 2 - 1 with "mushroom" head that puts out big heat, and another small "survival" stove I think he called it.) THe birdfeeder takes 8oz bottles, allows air in as fuel flows down the silicon tubing, and burns for ever! Tried it in a SAT for simmering a stew - did a good job too.

Do you have photographs? I will dig out the ones of my MBD stove too. Mine has a white fibre wick in the form of a brush. It burns with a simple flame coming off the wick. I haven't tried to boil anything with it because I didn't have a lawn somewhere private to stick Ti pegs in for a pot support. I had nothing else to make a decen pot stand for it neither. I am not even sure I still have it since the other half moved in and threw my stuff out. Seems I am not allowed to use my house as a storeage place for outdoors gear. I get a set number of boxes in the cupboard and that is it.

The MBD stoves seem like interesting designs but I seriously doubt if I'd spend money on one. Too complicated and other things suit better but I do like them. We don;t see enough about that style of stove on forums over here.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Wondering if anyone has practical experience of using this stove and is the lack of a non return valve in the remote fuel system a significant issue in real use? If so has anyone got a working solution actually on the stove?
Really fancy one of these stoves!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE