Ultra Clothing: Dachstein Alpine Jumper...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
I'm sure some of you out there are familiar with this Garment. Austrian Army Mountain Jumper. This has rapidly, in the last 2 months since I finally managed to get hold of a couple in the required Size, has become one of the most astounding pieces of Clothing I've used.

For those that don't know. It is a layered Woollen Jumper, boiled and shrunk to create a brilliant fit; nice and tight around the waist (tapered cut) & wrist, upper fore-arm to keep the draft out, and rather good loose fitting around the chest and shoulders. The thick collar, depending on physiology, comes up over your Ears, or covers most of 'em... it is a high collar indeed. It has heavy cotton (ventile-ish) reinforced Shoulder & elbow patches. Superb bit of Kit, if you value Wool... this is top-end Woollen Clothing.

DSCF1550_zpsvax8psr5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF1545_zpslnid7qio.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF1546_zpsdgwz1omg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF1556_zpskaxptvnn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF1558_zpsauqn5cu3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I agree. Brilliant jumper for the coldest of conditions. If you can get a genuine one, snap it up as you won't go wrong. A few on the 'bay at the moment. I'd really like to get my hands on the zip fronted one as well.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
An exceptional bit of kit :D (if a tad bulky and weighty, if that's a noteworthy issue ;) )

... I'd really like to get my hands on the zip fronted one as well.

Mine's front zipped :p :) Makes for superior and much needed, additional venting ;) . I believe the para-phrase is "... from my cold, dead hands!" :D

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i've had one for a few years now. it has become my favourite jumper. my only complaint is it it sooooooo warm, and it never really gets cold enough here to wear it very often. mine was one of the ex autrian army ones but i removed the badges etc.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... and it never really gets cold enough here to wear it very often...

To me it's a Vimesian garment (it's manky out, you don't have to move much but you do have to be there and so you do your level best to hunker down and stay as warm and dry as possible).

... mine was one of the ex autrian army ones but i removed the badges etc.

Badge off, epaulettes off :D

But I left the Velcro fluff strip in place.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
A front Zippered would be a nice addition, yes very nice indeed. Mine cost me 60 Quid each, including the postage from SurplusandOutdoors.com. So this does equate to the most priciest Army Surplus Garment I've splashed on.

Worked well when just used as a Top layer with just a Cotton T-shirt underneath most of the Winter, on colder Days with a Merino Wool base layer underneath, when been on the Ramble around the Northern Chilterns. I'm Chuffed to bits to've finally got Two of them in me locker.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have something very similar(zip neck) by barbour, I don't wear it though as the collar stands up & I find it annoying.

Rob

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm going against the grain. I just never wore it. Moved it on before Christmas. I still love my Dutch Helly and Norwegian Jumper, both are lighter and more versatile.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Horses for Courses... I find this Jumper works well when used as your main layer, with not much else underneath. Hasn't been the coldest Winter, granted. And this Jumper is obviously for Alpine/Arctic conditions, primarily, we all know this. The other Day when it Snowed here in the Chilterns, temp dropped down to minus the 0... I went out in this jumper, thin merino base layer under it and it was perfect, for me. No heavy or puffy Coats or Gortex every where. This is where I think this Jumper nails it, for use where I live.

This Jumper I think is great for Day Hikes... wouldn't take it on 2/3 nighters in the Brecons or Cumbra mind. But I'll be taking it along on Winter trips to Norway and Sweden.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
Was using that pullover during my military service ... used it down to -20 degC. It's effective and lasting. However the volume it requires, and it's weight, are something of a different era. The main reason we took it along was because the old Austrian army backpack (KAT3, the one you had to attach to the hooks of the KAT1) hasn't had any frame. You folded the pullover to match the size of the packpack, to serve as cushion between gear and your own pack.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Was using that pullover during my military service ... used it down to -20 degC. It's effective and lasting. However the volume it requires, and it's weight, are something of a different era. The main reason we took it along was because the old Austrian army backpack (KAT3, the one you had to attach to the hooks of the KAT1) hasn't had any frame. You folded the pullover to match the size of the packpack, to serve as cushion between gear and your own pack.

Brilliant input, cheers. Indeed yes, it is a heavy Garment, more than one would expect, took me by surprise and I knew would come with some weight.

Thing is with this Jumper, might sound a tad Daft... is that I get all caught up in Boy-hood fantasies and imaginings of me Scaling some Alpine rock face, or taking on the Eiger's north Face back in the days of Hermann Buhl, Joe Brown and the like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE