UK Poisonous Plant Book Reccomendation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi, I am looking for a detailed book on ALL the poisonous plants of the UK. I am aware there are many more non-poisonous plants, so I would like to learn all the poisonous ones with absolute certainty first of all.

Also, what is everyones favourite wild edible field guide? At the moment I own a pocket sized "Food for Free" by Richard Mabey and "The Thrifty Forager" by Alys Fowler. Neither of which are suitable for confidently identifying plants with certainty due to the size / detail of the pictures or lack of information.

Another bonus (but not essential) in either the poisonous or edible books would be poisonous/edible look-alikes?

Cheers :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought a book titled just that (I'll find a link) but, and it's a big but, it said that plants we know are edible were poisonous too :sigh: it was a bit like labelling everything that someone might be allergic to, as toxic, iimmc.
Rather disappointing.
Good idea for a thread, I might find something better :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The book I have is,
Poisonous Plants and Fungi; an illustrated guide. Published by HMSO under the aegis of The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods. Marion R. Cooper, BSc. & Anthony W. Johnson BVSc, MRVCS, London, 1988.

Apparantly it is unwise to eat any part of rhubarb (including the red stems) raw......tell that to generations of Scottish children who happily munched the stalks with a wee poke of sugar :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use the green book published by the ministry of agriculture. It is 30 years from the date it was published there is newer edits on the market. I found it to be a good grounding in toxicolgy. I will dig up the name of the newer edition.

Cross post toddy has just mentioned it.

Well I think it s good book because it quotes actual cases. Eg fat hen eaten everyday for 2 weeks made some malnurished poles ill

Dosage makes the poison.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though Fiona, you and I know what we can eat, maybe not all of it, but we have a wider knowledge than many. If this book was the last word then out would go many plants I happily munch through the seasons.
I think they played it a little too safe.

cheers,
Mary

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This is a complex topic. Here's a link to Xylaria's excellent sticky thread on toxic berries, just as an illustration.

Personally, I believe there is no substitute for simply knowing/learning your plants, and adopting the motto "If in doubt, leave it out" i.e. don't eat it. By 'in doubt' I mean not having total 100% certainty that you have identified the plant (or fungus) correctly, and that it is an edible species. Break this rule at your own risk, and at your peril.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have a copy of Toddy's book too but I agree with Harvestman, learn about plants generally, don't eat anything you can't identify with 100% certainty.

The Government book tends towards serious caution but is a useful reference. Many plants are absolutely fine too eat on an occasional basis but not good to eat all the time but the Government book will list those as toxic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE