UCO candle lanterns - word to the wise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
My mate and I tried these out in the cambrians the other night (at least -10C) and found that the bees wax performed so badly it would be fair to say they didn't work. They seemed unable to generate enough heat to consume themselves and therefore simply peetered out. The paraffin was fine and warmed Richard's Polish poncho arrangement nicely, but I will leave the telling to him. At 24C in the kitchen the beeswax work fine.

Thought you all might like to know

Stephen

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Cheers for the heads up - I have been considering buying a mini one of these to hang under my tarp. Although I obviously wouldn't always be out in cold temperatures it's useful to be aware of this - thanks for sharing your observation!

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Yeah cheers mate. I will looking at one of these.

At present I use a 16 LED wind up block that is basically daylight!! Recharges either via the handle or the my solar cell.

Can you not get candles that are made of other things (may ear wax would work better? :) ) for colder weather?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Interesting, thanks for that Stephen. Was it the specifically the Beeswax candles and not the standard Uco candles you were using? I've had mine out in sub-zero temps with standard white Uco candles and it has always worked fine - burned slow and not as bright, but it did burn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The mix of waxes that goes into candles is tremendously varied.
The Uco ones are deliberately made to burn with a small 'pool' so that melting wax doesn't clog the spring mechanism.........trust me on this, I tried a soft melt one (lots of palmate stuff) and the resultant mess took me an hour to clean up :sigh:
I hadn't considered that the very postive feature of the candles might actually be an issue in the cold.

Beeswax generally has a small pool but is easy melt so it should be the best option despite the expense. However, if it's not burning in the cold, maybe those candles I rejected are the better bet.

Thanks for the heads up.
Have you thought of contacting Uco and asking what they have considered doing about the issue ?

cheers,
Toddy

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Are you talking about the actual candles made of beeswax (brownish colour I bellieve) or are you having difficulty with the standard candle (white in colour)? If the latter I am surprised.
I've not had problems with the standard candlles at around zeroC.
Alan

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Steve, and I know because I was there, and I had problems with the brownish/yellow beeswax candles. The paraffin wax, white, candles worked just fine.

We tested them by burning both candle types in both brass and aluminium models.

The beeswax candle generated insufficient heat to melt the candle wax at the top where it meets the curved in top of the candle holder. It therefore sunk into a well of wax it created itself and ran low on oxygen, burning very poorly for some time before extinguishing.

The paraffin wax candle generated sufficient heat to warm the top of that same metal holder so the candle could keep moving up under spring pressure. Mine had gone out by the morning but had done its job and simply run out of candle.

We had suspected at one point that it might be a difference in the heat conductivity of the brass and aluminium models but as I wrote, tested both.

Richard

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Quick question as I haven't tested them personally, but do folks think regular tealights would work fine under 0C? I ask because I'm considering a mini candle lantern and your standard tealights go straight in - thanks!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I first saw the oil conversion for the UCO over on ZS, and thought that it'd be a good idea.

Then I realized that the candles actually lasted longer than the fuel capacity of the oil tank, which means carrying more weight, and carrying a liquid fuel, which (apart from JetBoil fuel) I'd rather not do.

The oil conversion does put out more light though, and possibly fumes too.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
You could DIY one
allthebits.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19095
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE