UCO candle lanterns - any good???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ferrol

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2006
in my head
I have one and find it brilliant, nice natural light that goes for 9 hrs, so you have at least a couple of nights light before bed time. In a tent they do produce some heat too.

I love mine and take it on every nightly outing I do. They collapse down nice too.

ferrol

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They're good and provide a really nice warm light. The citronella candles are a useful addition to them - quite handy for keeping away the bugs.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have had one for a good few years now and it is superb. I would advise buying the neoprene pouch for it as well as this helps to protect it from other items in your pack/pocket

Edit : You can also use regular candles if you cut them down - much more cost effective than the good but expensive purpose made ones ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've one too and I agree, its a good bit of kit. A nice bit of comfortable light and warmth when it's wet and miserable, nice in a tent or tipi :) .
However, it's expensive. I also have two of the much (as little as a10th of the price) brass ones and they are just as good. Have a look on ebay, they come up every so often.

Cheers,
Toddy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had one and if the wind picked up it swang in the breeze spilling hot wax on to the spring... this caused the candle to jam and basically melt all over the mechanism... takes AGES clean up. I suspect that while even I have a fondness for the candle lantern, many people have suffered with a huge melted blob of wax jamming theirs up.

Since then, I started using the mini candle lantern... it's over £10 cheaper, packs down small, has no moving parts and is still very cute/cool.

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5786

This uses tea lights and goes through one an evening... 5 can be carried in the lantern during transit and they are stupidly cheap to buy from places like ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50097995

£1.49 for 100!!!

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Nice find littlebiglane,
They won't hold a 9 hour candle though will they?

I was thinking of getting a UCO one, but they are very expensive i think.

Otherwise, you can always make one for tea light from an old beer can :)

Cheers
Carlo

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I have a few of the cheaper ones (same as the lakeland ones) that I got from M&S. They got a bit clogged up with wax because I packed them away without giving them sufficient time to cool. I just boiled them in a pan a couple of times, changing the water each time and they came out clean. The cheap ones come apart really easy as well so cleaning's not too much of a problem.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
thanks for the review Pablo - very helpful, and think it's decided me - i reckon the Uco is worth the extra money. Pablo - was reading some of your blog, and noticed your opinion of the pocket cooker has dropped a bit! is this just cos it was wet? have you had any good experiences with it, as i'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post!

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Got my UCO from the states, sent over in about 2 weeks, half the price even with postage, only thing is i cant remember where from.............:banghead:

Actually i think Ebay may have something to do with it.........................

Mark

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
thanks for the review Pablo - very helpful, and think it's decided me - i reckon the Uco is worth the extra money. Pablo - was reading some of your blog, and noticed your opinion of the pocket cooker has dropped a bit! is this just cos it was wet? have you had any good experiences with it, as i'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post!

Gorilla,

Re the Pocketcooker: It's probably just me. It is a fun item, but I can't really see me using it over a hobo stove or my trusty SA Trangia. Good thing is it packs down small, but again, it's a bit heavy. The only thing to do is try it out. Personal preferences and all that.
Cheers,
Pablo.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hi,
I've just done a mini review of the UCO on my blog (link in signature). They are a bit pricey, but I get a lot of use out of them.
Cheers,
Pablo

Someone's pointed out an error in my review about only lighting the candle by unscrewing the bottom plate. You can actually just slide down the glass and light the candle without unscewing the plate.
Apologies for the error. :eek:
Pablo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE