Uco and stuff

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Blacks have still got the uco candle lantern reduced to £12.99 from £19.99 nice bit of kit really if you have the spare cash.
Also saw Wilkinsons had a nice 1.8l kettle in stainless with a wooden handle which would make a good base camp kettle if you cant get a cast one. These are usually alot dearer.
Just a thought D

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I picked a UCO up from millets in Dundee for £10.99 (same parent company as Blacks) and then went to blacks (who didnt have them reduced) and picked up all the candles they had on the shelf as they had them reduced to £1.49 per pack. Gave it it's first road test a couple of weeks ago and it was very very good - nice light and not intrusive into the atmosphere around the fire.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
worth checking the field and trek stores for anyone out for one, I just picked one up in the swansea branch for £9.99.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ey up thats cheap .I use citronella tea lights in a diff lamp and I think they 'help' with midges.
I wouldn't leave it a my only protection but if they are the same price I would buy them.
Dave

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I used a bog myrtle candle in a 4m tipi last week in NW Scotland (no midge netting no sewn in groundsheet.

Midgies were unbearable in the tent until lighting the candle and it took about half an hour for it to work, but it pretty well emptied the tent of midgies, and kept it empty. You could even leave the tent door open once it got going, except for the really bad periods, but even then, the amount of midgies making their way into the tent was tiny compared to what was going on outside

Outside the tent was still black with the little blighters and a trip to the toilets needed a full cover up, a hat, a midge proof midge face mask and midge repellent.

The midgies built up a bit in the tent overnight, but lighting the candle in the morning would clear them out.

I only very occasionally smelt anything while it was burning so no strong smells to deal with.

This was the first time I had used a bog myrtle candle (the citronella ones make my wife feel sick) but I will certainly be using them again.

Graham

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Just been to the Cheltenham Millets and Blacks.

Millets haven't heard of the Uco lanterns. Blacks have them at £19.99 and £3.99 for a pack of three candles.

Never get any bargains here!

Gareth

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'll have to keep an eye out, although I left my UCO lantern at home for the Moot. That is the first time in a long time I haven't taken it, I went with the old hurricane lamp instead and our camp was brightly lit as Addo brought his along as well. I saw some citronella in Homebase when i went shopping on day 1 and was wondering if I could add this to my parrafin before putting it into the lamp in order to keep insects away?

The lanterns, by the way, are very cheap. I can get them very reasonably priced at just under 2 quid I think it is. The price goes down the more I buy, so I could do a GB on them, but it wopuldn't be worth it if I posted them so would bring them to local meets and the like. I could bring a job lot to next years Moot too. I'll keep you all posted.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Citronella lamp oil works in Parrafin lamps fella, sometimes available from £1 shops garden centres cheap.
The sale at Millets/ Blacks is a bit hit and miss one Millets I went to had one uco Blacks had non another Millets had three.
Dave

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Thank you tommy the cat for the info. on the Uco candle lanterns, I managed to get four of the last ones available at Blacks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE