u.s.a. bushcraft gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
hi everyone, im off to the states soon, is there anything l should bring back bushcrafty that you cant get here or is way more expensive?
thanks

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's worth having a look at Cabelas website for inspiration. They are one of the biggest outfitters.

If you can find second hand shops or garage sales, you might be able to find:

Old recurve hunting bows -people ditched them in the 1970s-1980s when the compound bow came out. But they are beautifuland work well decades later
Marble Arms Company made superior belt knives, compasses and matchcases. The old models are rather better than their current production.
Pocket knives by Case and Schrade. New Schrades are made in China, but the old ones were made in the USA. Case knives, whether new or old are very good.
Pendleton wool shirts
Anything by Filson ('Might as well buy the best' was their (fairly accurate) slogan)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm watching this thread for ideas as with a bit of luck I'm going home to Texas to see family next year.

I wonder what I'll come back with :rolleyes:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Tincture of iodine 2.5% not that you can't get it easily enough here but the bottles commonly sold in the US are tough plastic (ours are glass) and come with a cohesion dropper cap, making it a lot more suitable to carry than our glass dropper affairs.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
try Winter green chewing gum,
sounds awful know, but its well worth a try
I think Mountain Dew is called Sprite here maybe a bit different for the American taste.
just go browse a wally world (wal-mart) but watch out for the excess baggage charges.
have a great tme

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i would have said genuine us issue poncho liners. nice and light for the baggage charges and they get sold ridiculously cheap over the pond.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Carhartt clothing , Woolrich , Filson ,Sorel boots ,all great gear that is hard and expensive to get here in the UK. Very good for the winter approaching and every one after ,most of the clothing from these brands will last longer than us !

Last edited:

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Bring back some Mountain Dew. Its not bushcraft but damed it tastes great.

You seriously don't have Mountain dew?..... Heh... cool.

Uco candle lanterns
a wettering axe?

UCO candle lanterns are bonus: enough light to read by if you're in a tent, and produce a decent amount of heat. Watch out for knocking them when the wax is all melty inside though, and get the circular reflector that reflects the light down. Not enough light otherwise IMO

Tincture of iodine 2.5% not that you can't get it easily enough here but the bottles commonly sold in the US are tough plastic (ours are glass) and come with a cohesion dropper cap, making it a lot more suitable to carry than our glass dropper affairs.

Once again... heh cool. Iodine in a glass bottle... very retro.
Very cool.

Man I need to visit the UK. (maybe if i'm lucky drop by a Meet!!!) Fat chance though as current conversion rate is "1 British pound = 1.59847954 Canadian dollars" and everything costs so much. (it it was 2/1 a while back!)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I'm off to the US with work soon too :) I'm off to San Francisco and they don't have a Cabelas but they do have a REI, I don't count on them having much cold weather gear either considering their geographical location.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I seen mountain dew in the petrol station at the fourth road bridge last weekend!!!!

I would just goto cabelas and have a look, being into fishing and shooting i just about got strechered out of the place, we lost 6 hours of our trip in there, the only time we all met was funily we found ourselves all in the food court at lunchtime!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE