two way radios updated to cb radios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
are they suitable when out on ones own for emergency use

what non licence use universal two way radios are there rather than buying a pair for just one human going backpacking or for survival for mud hit the fan moments

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you only want one who would you be talking to?

Usually people buy a pair of radios (or more) because they want to be able communicate between themselves. Having just one kind of defeats that.

• Haha
Reactions: nigelp

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
are they suitable when out on ones own

what non licence use universal two way radios are there rather than buying a pair for just one

If you mean as something to carry to use in an emergency then, no, non-license radios just do not have the range to be reliable. In the UK you're more likely to find a phone signal than someone listening to non-license frequency channels TBH.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic-ninja

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
If you only want one who would you be talking to?

Usually people buy a pair of radios (or more) because they want to be able communicate between themselves. Having just one kind of defeats that.
it is only just as referred to in my opening-post me most of the time an am looking for emergency solutions in case no phone signal or mud hit the fan
If you mean as something to carry to use in an emergency then, no, non-license radios just do not have the range to be reliable. In the UK you're more likely to find a phone signa than someone listening to non-license frequency channels TBH.
yes it would be for only emergency use

i have edited opening post to reflect this

there are many urban areas in the GB isles that struggle to get signal yet alone out in the stick woods forests and-such

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
there are many urban areas in the GB isles that struggle to get signal yet alone out in the stick woods forests and-such

That's true, but they are also the very areas that non-license radios are bad in. They really only work over any distance with line-of-sight. Even 10w foundation amateur license radios struggle to get descent distance if you're down in the valleys; you have to get up high to get any range and, up high, you'll usually find a phone signal (with exceptions).

Reactions: santaman2000

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
it is only just as referred to in my opening-post me most of the time an am looking for emergency solutions in case no phone signal or mud hit the fan
If you're after something for emergency use in an area with poor phone signal check out 999 sms text service

Alternatively, think about getting an EPRB if you really want **** coverage

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
That's true, but they are also the very areas that non-license radios are bad in. They really only work over any distance with line-of-sight. Even 10w foundation amateur license radios struggle to get descent distance if you're down in the valleys; you have to get up high to get any range and, up high, you'll usually find a phone signal (with exceptions).
i just came across and need to do plenty of research on licence-free sim radios with lone worker subscription

worth looking into for viable options maybe

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
If you're after something for emergency use in an area with poor phone signal check out 999 sms text service

Alternatively, think about getting an EPRB if you really want **** coverage
sadly the http://chrome-extension//efaidnbmnn...ice.uk/globalassets/contact/emergency_sms.pdf does not work for me

i had to remove the chrome extension part http://chrome-extension//efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/

and the working link for me now is https://www.psni.police.uk/globalassets/contact/emergency_sms.pdf

forgive my lack of knowledge in this area what is ERPB...??

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There have been various discussions on the capability of radios - do a search on Radio(s) and you should find a few.

Here's a recent one:

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I ended up picking up a pack of motorola t92 for walkie talkie functions- great for when off roading, navigating tracks, general use really instead of using the phone around the farm.

I do have a set of baofeng uv5rs, and plan on undertaking the relevant courses, both so I am legal and have an understanding and knowledge of what I'm doing with it.

I get coverage over line of sight with the Motorola, and maybe further- think of the kids toys and there just a more durable version of that.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Emergency position indicating radio beacon, my bad I missed out the I and got the letters slightly muddled
thank you and no worries mate it is easy done, i do it more often than i realise tbh
There have been various discussions on the capability of radios - do a search on Radio(s) and you should find a few.

Here's a recent one:

great thank you

i will take a gander bettet not as te goose will get lonely so i will take a look instead...:laugh:
I ended up picking up a pack of motorola t92 for walkie talkie functions- great for when off roading, navigating tracks, general use really instead of using the phone around the farm.

I do have a set of baofeng uv5rs, and plan on undertaking the relevant courses, both so I am legal and have an understanding and knowledge of what I'm doing with it.

I get coverage over line of sight with the Motorola, and maybe further- think of the kids toys and there just a more durable version of that.
thank you

i think that going down the route of courses may be the best way to cover all angles

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
after much research i decided to go with handheld cb radio which does-not need a license

plus one does not need to rely on unit-pairs whereby someone needs to be in range of paired units

or mobile masts whereby two-way radios type that require use of mobile towers will be hit hard with the shut-down of 3g networks in the near future, iirc 2023 and 2024

there is a [UK] online map showing many cb operators in the locals where i propose to hike and or backpack or bush-craft, thereby

furthermore vintage working cb radios are reasonable priced many less than £30.00 [gbp]

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... OK, just don't rely on it. We used CB extensively in the 4x4 Response network and it's fine in convoy, and even over several kilometres line of sight, but very quickly lost signal up and down the valleys - especially the hand held ones.

I recommend you find someone else with one and go out and test them in realistic scenarios.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Mmm... OK, just don't rely on it. We used CB extensively in the 4x4 Response network and it's fine in convoy, and even over several kilometres line of sight, but very quickly lost signal up and down the valleys - especially the hand held ones.

I recommend you find someone else with one and go out and test them in realistic scenarios.
thank you i will when the one i ordered arrives

there is always the caveat of line-of-sight and obstruction and being more at height for communication and-such with all non-licensed walkie-takies two-way or cb and-such

i found there is a local amateur radio club about a 3/4- 1 mile from my local and thinking of going there as the founder is the same name as a dear friend to my late date and hope it is the same gentleman and he remembers me and can assist or know some who can

Reactions: Broch
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
With the handheld CB, you may want to research into more efficient, external antennas. Because they operate on fairly low VHF frequencies, in order to have an efficient (i.e. 'powerful') signal you are best off with an antenna that is a 'quarter wave' - for CB frequencies, that's approximately 2.5 meters long - I suspect the antenna in your vintage CB handheld is substantially shorter! Higher frequency radios - such as the licence free PMR 446, or other radios in the high VHF or UHF bands need much shorter antennas to reach that magic quarter wave length, and thus in a real world, for the same wattage radio, have a much stronger output.

As has been mentioned, a mobile phone remains your best bet (unless you are prepared to invest in the whole emergency beacon or satellite phone route|) in reality, and although that's not as much fun, nor is needing to make an emergency communication!

To get the most out of your new handheld, look into options for external antenna - using wires, ground spikes etc, and i suspect that you could substantially increase its range.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
With the handheld CB, you may want to research into more efficient, external antennas. Because they operate on fairly low VHF frequencies, in order to have an efficient (i.e. 'powerful') signal you are best off with an antenna that is a 'quarter wave' - for CB frequencies, that's approximately 2.5 meters long - I suspect the antenna in your vintage CB handheld is substantially shorter! Higher frequency radios - such as the licence free PMR 446, or other radios in the high VHF or UHF bands need much shorter antennas to reach that magic quarter wave length, and thus in a real world, for the same wattage radio, have a much stronger output.

As has been mentioned, a mobile phone remains your best bet (unless you are prepared to invest in the whole emergency beacon or satellite phone route|) in reality, and although that's not as much fun, nor is needing to make an emergency communication!

To get the most out of your new handheld, look into options for external antenna - using wires, ground spikes etc, and i suspect that you could substantially increase its range.
thank you

yes i have thought and are looking into portable antennas or looking into making my own as another option

the handheld i bought is a working one of these
with a long antenna and supports external antennas albeit it takes ten [10] aa batteries

i have discovered repeaters are put on mobile phone masts that can be used if you can find and seek permission by the controller of the repeater

my local one according to the radio club website the repeaters they use are free for anyone to use

Condex

Life Member
Jul 19, 2004
Back in BARRY, AFTER 20 yrs in Asia

what non licence use universal two way radios are there rather than buying a pair for just one human going backpacking or for survival for mud hit the fan moments
Sorry to say they are bloody uless useless for emergency use. I have a very good one I bought to be used when I was out with a group using similar ones that’s fine but I’ve taken it many times with me and had it on scan and picked up nobody I’ve also tried many times making radio check calls just asking for a radio check I’ve never had a response and I’ve tried plenty of times. In an emergency you wouldn’t have a hope in hell it’s up by pure chance

no! They are bloody useless an emergency. I bought a very good one which I was intending to and used with a group who had similar ones this was fine. I have on many occasions taking mine out with me I left it on scan to see if I would pick up anybody else the answer was no I have never picked up any other person on the scan.
I have made many proper radio check calls on channel 16 and on various other channels just for the hell of it and I have never had a response to that either! This shows that if you should make a call in an emergency the likelihood of getting through to somebody would be almost non-existent .
When you use the radios as a group you set up your channel/channels do you want to use and often the basic encryption for your group most of the modern radios have encryption to allow for private use of the public channels. It is quite normal practice so you are private for your group and don’t interfere with other people and they don’t with you. This however of course means that a lot of the radios are not on the basic channel 16 unencrypted and they’re not listening out on it.
This is why I have never got anybody on the scan because it doesn’t scan for the encrypted channels except decryption you’re using most people don’t seem to be using channel 16 without encryption either as my requests for Radio checks confirmed.
In most places where you do you have any form of telephone mobile signal you are of course much better off using a phone.

I I did not expect to get anything much more than I got realistically when caring just my radio on my own but I was moderately surprised that I got nothing at all.
I did have the ability to monitor and probably use the amateur radio hub frequencies and there I did pick up the amateur radio users, but their frequency is not a legal frequency unless you have an amateur radio license. Plus to transmit to them you need to have your transmission frequencies and settings set correctly for their system. Even though it was illegal I did try several times to contact them just for a radio check but I never got an audio answer or response but it was apparent that I was breaking through on the channel in some way as they commented on somebody was on the side trying to transmit but I don’t think they actually could hear what I was saying only that I was king in onto their frequency , which of course is what annoys them and is illegal.
So again I say NO NO NO! Absolutely bloody useless for emergency communication or any communication other than for your group with your radio is set up appropriately for your groups use.
Hope that helps

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Sorry to say they are bloody uless useless for emergency use. I have a very good one I bought to be used when I was out with a group using similar ones that’s fine but I’ve taken it many times with me and had it on scan and picked up nobody I’ve also tried many times making radio check calls just asking for a radio check I’ve never had a response and I’ve tried plenty of times. In an emergency you wouldn’t have a hope in hell it’s up by pure chance

no! They are bloody useless an emergency. I bought a very good one which I was intending to and used with a group who had similar ones this was fine. I have on many occasions taking mine out with me I left it on scan to see if I would pick up anybody else the answer was no I have never picked up any other person on the scan.
I have made many proper radio check calls on channel 16 and on various other channels just for the hell of it and I have never had a response to that either! This shows that if you should make a call in an emergency the likelihood of getting through to somebody would be almost non-existent .
When you use the radios as a group you set up your channel/channels do you want to use and often the basic encryption for your group most of the modern radios have encryption to allow for private use of the public channels. It is quite normal practice so you are private for your group and don’t interfere with other people and they don’t with you. This however of course means that a lot of the radios are not on the basic channel 16 unencrypted and they’re not listening out on it.
This is why I have never got anybody on the scan because it doesn’t scan for the encrypted channels except decryption you’re using most people don’t seem to be using channel 16 without encryption either as my requests for Radio checks confirmed.
In most places where you do you have any form of telephone mobile signal you are of course much better off using a phone.

I I did not expect to get anything much more than I got realistically when caring just my radio on my own but I was moderately surprised that I got nothing at all.
I did have the ability to monitor and probably use the amateur radio hub frequencies and there I did pick up the amateur radio users, but their frequency is not a legal frequency unless you have an amateur radio license. Plus to transmit to them you need to have your transmission frequencies and settings set correctly for their system. Even though it was illegal I did try several times to contact them just for a radio check but I never got an audio answer or response but it was apparent that I was breaking through on the channel in some way as they commented on somebody was on the side trying to transmit but I don’t think they actually could hear what I was saying only that I was king in onto their frequency , which of course is what annoys them and is illegal.
So again I say NO NO NO! Absolutely bloody useless for emergency communication or any communication other than for your group with your radio is set up appropriately for your groups use.
Hope that helps
try these troubleshooting ideas from https://www.thetruckersreport.com/t...cant-hear-responses-cobra-29-ltd-army.116349/

i remember from the 1980's some rigs and handhelds were terrible with high swr's and needed swr tuning sometimes as simple as coax or pl-259 change which is a soldering job or antenna change or checking the settings prior to transmitting really helps

note

most handhelds uses or used a very basic stock antenna that need[ed] swapping for a better antenna and many have an external antenna connection for plugging in an external antenna which would typically give you better signal and range

also with handhelds try not to operate them near power lines overhead and underground as you will get noise, i will have to test with mine near mobile towers as i can non say if they will interfere or not my best guess is most likely interference

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion

Hope that helps
Worth knowing that amateur licence holders are not allowed to respond to non-licenced users on amateur radio frequencies (except in emergencies I guess).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE