Two-Man Saw Flinn-Garlick?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Khumbu8000

Mar 27, 2011
Marlborough
I have got permission to help myself to a hefty oak that has fallen down about 100m away from my Infants school. I am in charge of Outdoor learning and am thinking I would love to make some tables etc out of slices of the heartwood.

i dont have a chainsaw and it would take heaven and earth for me to get permission to go at it with one.

So 2 man saw? I have heard some dodgy reviews about the above saw because of the teeth. I really dont know much about saws but like to hear from anyone who has had one of the above.

alternatively if you have a 2 person saw and live in Wiltshire... You could save me a few quid....!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would use a 3ft one man saw, you can get a handle for the other end of the saw for a helper if you have one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have one of those ozzy (a Flinn-Garlick as it happens) - it won't cope with a 4' diameter tree. Ideally you would need something in the 7' range for a tree that big

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cutting a 4' oak into planks is going to take more than any old 2 man saw, ideally it requires the log to be placed over a pit and the use of a "pit-saw" - these vary from the saw's linked to in Crosslandkelly's post in that they have a different handle arrangement, cut on end grain, are lighter and are used in a pure "up / down" motion; whereas the saws linked are meant for felling trees. Not only that but you need a volunteer to spend a day in the pit getting covered in sawdust!
Working the wood over a pit helps to prevent any wobble/wander of the saw and keeps cuts going in straight lines rather than fighting the saw all the way through the length of the trunk.

I reckon it would be best to put the word out about what you are trying to do (mention of making furniture for the school will help) and see if someone suitably qualified with a chain-saw (or a portable wood mill) can help you out for free.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE