One man cross cut saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
Looking for an alternative to a chainsaw when a bow saw won't cut it anymore. I haven't got time to restore an old saw nor hunt through the dross to find one worth spending time on.

I have found this https://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.u...MIheHZjdOE9AIVSdPtCh3sOgvoEAQYASABEgKYvPD_BwE which seems like it would fit the bill. I note it is available in Great American Tooth and Champion tooth. I am no saw expert but think I've worked out the GAT is suited to softwoods and cutting quickly, the champion slightly better with harder woods (am I anywhere near right?).

Does anyone have experience of the saw I've linked to, or the brand in general. For the price I would hope it is a quality tool but one never knows. Alternative recommendations are welcome.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking for an alternative to a chainsaw when a bow saw won't cut it anymore. I haven't got time to restore an old saw nor hunt through the dross to find one worth spending time on.

I have found this https://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.u...MIheHZjdOE9AIVSdPtCh3sOgvoEAQYASABEgKYvPD_BwE which seems like it would fit the bill. I note it is available in Great American Tooth and Champion tooth. I am no saw expert but think I've worked out the GAT is suited to softwoods and cutting quickly, the champion slightly better with harder woods (am I anywhere near right?).

Does anyone have experience of the saw I've linked to, or the brand in general. For the price I would hope it is a quality tool but one never knows. Alternative recommendations are welcome.
I have that exact saw. It's a brilliant thing. I like the Champion for universal use but both work. You will need to get a triangular file to sharpen and a jointer. A big hammer driven saw set is useful, but it took me ten years to find one. Sharpening and jointing a big saw is an art but totally worth learning.

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
I have that exact saw. It's a brilliant thing. I like the Champion for universal use but both work. You will need to get a triangular file to sharpen and a jointer. A big hammer driven saw set is useful, but it took me ten years to find one. Sharpening and jointing a big saw is an art but totally worth learning.

Thanks, couldn't have wished for a better 1st response. Will order the file too, may have to make a jointer for now as they don't seem to be in ready supply. As for the saw set, that may need making too (I found plans, just need to find a friendly metal worker…)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks, couldn't have wished for a better 1st response. Will order the file too, may have to make a jointer for now as they don't seem to be in ready supply. As for the saw set, that may need making too (I found plans, just need to find a friendly metal worker…)
If you need pictures of jointer & saw set I can photograph mine - I even have a cross face straight / cross peen hammer (that took years to find)

Reactions: Dai

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It would certainly work. My saw set has a sliding angle adjustment rather like a tangent sight on a rifle. One set, it will bend each tooth to the same angle

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Flynn and garlik make some lovely saws, I’ve used one and it’s great. I mostly search the second hand shops for mine though they don’t often have the top handle, luckily F&G supply those too!

I’m sure once you’ve got one and learned how to look after it properly you’ll be addicted, they really are lovely things. Be sure to give it a woman’s name too, to keep with tradition!

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
Flynn and garlik make some lovely saws, I’ve used one and it’s great. I mostly search the second hand shops for mine though they don’t often have the top handle, luckily F&G supply those too!

I’m sure once you’ve got one and learned how to look after it properly you’ll be addicted, they really are lovely things. Be sure to give it a woman’s name too, to keep with tradition!
A replacement handle can be purchased for £16 should you find a good second hand saw without.

Naming the saw sounds like a trap; if I name it after the OH then she may not be too impressed, if I don't answering “where have you been the last 3 hours?” with “in the garage fettling _____” will get an even worse response… By the confirmation email I have 2 weeks ish to think of a suitable name.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
My saw arrived on Friday after a bit of a mix up where the Great American Tooth version arrived first time round. All sorted now, the GAT looked good too but I have no need for two 3ft saws. Tried out for the 1st time today cutting through 30cm diameter (green) birch which it made easy work of, still a decent workout for me though. The saw held a good line all the way through and made a beautiful sound as it went too.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are fantastic tools but the effort is not to be underestimated! I've bucked about 30 cubic metres of firewood this year. Would hate to try that with a misery whip!

Dai

Jun 7, 2020
Wales
If it keeps me out of the gym it will be well worth it! Plus I've figured out how to attach the auxiliary handle, so next time will take half the effort :p.

With regards to the auxiliary handle have you done anything to prevent the loss of the locating pin? Seems destined to disappear when the saw is used out and about. I'm thinking of getting/creating a pin with a hole through the length so I can attach some bright cord/ribbon, then when it falls in long grass I will have a chance of finding it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE