Two day shake down trip

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Just back from three days two nights walking from Oxford to Lechlade. OK, so it's not the wilderness but I wanted to try some kit out and to see how fit I was after a winter of comparative idleness. I don't feel old but have to accept that I cannot do at 70 what I used to do at thirty. (In case you're wondering I only mean carrying a full pack for thirty miles.) The days were hot but there was ice in my water bottle in the morning. So what did I learn?
1 Bivvy bag no good in heavy dew.
2 Bivvy tent not much better
3 I'm still fairly fit but 12 miles without a stop is pushing it.
4 I'm now too stiff to get in and out of my Jack Wolfskin Gossamer bivvy tent with ease.Check the For Sale page for this and the bivvy bag: I'm going back to the two man tent.
4 My home made coke can stove worked well but I need a bigger fuel bottle
5 Don't trust the cap of a Platypus bottle. I had a bottle of wine in mine, leant against the pack pocket it was in and got Cotes de Rousillon all down my neck.
6 Wild camping is getting more difficult in England.
7 Most of kit and systems work well and I'm not ready for the Old Folks Home yet.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Point number 5 = plenty of trusty Sigg like or nalegen bottles out there.
Point number 7 is the most important:camping: nothing beats a tent well except a hammock:sleeping:

If you find you are getting stiff with walking, why not take along some muscle rub gel.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Good stuff Old Timer, It's good to someone on the forum older than me, knocking on 61 out and about actually doing stuff.

Biker

Inspirational indeed!

In just over a month I shall be turning 50. Can't believe I would ever get this old and I've outlived my Dad by 5 years so far... anyway with the landmark date approaching and my best mate Paul also turning 50 in 2 weeks we've both been dwelling on this prospect rather negatively. I suppose we're wondering if we'l suddenly turn into miserable old gits. I'm looking at it as just another birthday and a number, I certainly don't feel 50, the person I see in the mirror might not agree though. But reading what you're doing 20 years my senior makes me feel rather pathetic for feeling so down in the mouth about it.

Very well done (and don't take that as patronising please) Really pleased I clicked on this thread and read about what you've done. You sir are an inspiration! Thanks for the kick in the butt I needed.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thanks for the kinds words. Old is what someone older is. Once I thought 20 was old and I'd be past it at 30.
Sigg bottle for water, Platypus for wine because you can squeeze the air out.
I've always been a tent person, but I've read so many enthusiastic accounts of tarp and bivvy bag usage on this site that I thought it was time to try something new..
Thanks for the tip about muscle rub, I try it next trip.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Good on yer mate! I'm ten years behind you but check out my pictures in the 'today's picture' thread or whatever it's called. When I got the Jeep on the ferry after a night under the stars in northern Spain, the dolly bird greeting people on the vehicle deck said to me "The lift's just here, but if you can manage the stairs they're just along on the right...":rant:

Biker

Oh, thanks, Aaron. :nutkick:

You're welcome. :lmao:

Seriously though having my fit and healthy father die of cancer at 45 years of age did sorta put an unofficial time limit on my own life expectancy. Stupid thinking I know, but I got it into my head and there it stayed. :dunno:

Having met you ged I wouldn't have said you were anywhere near 60, early 50's perhaps. Anyway no offence intended... now get back in your bath chair before you leak on the sofa again.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Good man; 12 miles without a stop is pushing it for any one with full pack never mind a septuagenarian
You must still be fairly fit to manage a walk like that so enjoy it ,take your time and make comfort a priority Plenty more to see and do yet oldtimer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE