Twisted spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Heres a couple of pics of some large spoons that I have recently made, there seemed to be theme that the wood dictated to me as I made them, a twisted handle theme. I originaly wanted straight handles, the wood had other ideas and as I carved the blade of my knife seemed to follow the curves that the wood produced. It was strange, I just let the wood guide me and here are the results. They make excellent serving spoons for right handed folk, not very good for leftys though as my wife found out, she felt like she had no control over the spoon.

The first one is made of London plane

100_4749.jpg

100_4752.jpg

The second is made from Birch

100_4750.jpg

100_4751.jpg

Hope you like them.

Simon.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Like em both - but the birch one is the nicer of the two!

So your wife can't get more mashed spuds?

Shame :D

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Like em both - but the birch one is the nicer of the two!

So your wife can't get more mashed spuds?

Shame :D

Red

Cheers Red I like the Birch one, the London Plane one is as tough as old boots very stringy wood like oak.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Beautiful stuff. For me the way the wood dictates your carving then warps as it cures is what makes green wood work so special. I'm still trying to get it right to make the most of this.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It sure is strange when you use a straight piece of wood only to carve ito it and the wood tells you otherwise, both pieces were straight but still twisted and turned as I carved them.
The magic of wood eehh.

Simon.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
The London Plane was very tough wood and was very stringy, alot like oak.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
It take's a real craftsman to recognize the life in the wood. You did a great job there on both spoons.

I was carving one and it developed a "Z" in the center of the handle, I carved right round it as it wanted and the whole spoon came to life. S0rry, I don't have a picture. There was a young girl watching me carve so I asked her mother if it was OK to give it to her. She walked away with the biggest smile I have ever seen.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The good thing with a bendy spoon is that if the bend is right, you can keep the spoon in your back pocket and it is really comfortable. It also won't snap if it is curved as it won't have rpessure applied to one single point when you sit down on it. All my spoons have twisted in some way or another, but who cares about uniformity? I guess the only way around it is to carve seasoned wood. That seems like a bit too much hard work to me though!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
nice work mate! never heard of london plane before.

You may have seen it and never knew quite what it was. As I recall, the bark looks like DPM material, it's really wierd, and it has little round spikey balls hanging off of the branches, very distinctive. They seem to crop up in urban areas a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE