Twins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Stu made me one in 01 tool steel with bead blasted finish too....

carbon.jpg

carbon3.jpg

Bush-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

Bush32.jpg

Bush33.jpg

Bush34.jpg

Bush77.jpg

Bush51.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So what made you go back to O1 Jon? I must vadmit I still like the tool steels (but not I agree for wet / salt environments)

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi Red,

I didn't actually go back to 01, it found me. This knife was originally made for my brother as he liked my design. It arrived on the same day that Alan Wood made me his version in RWL-34 as a replacement for an earlier version that didn't quite have the right shape. To cut a long story short, I ended up giving my bro the AW and keeping this one from Stu. Glad I did too, I love it. I still prefer RWL to 01, but this knife is for some reason, special. Never thought I'd see myself giving away a brand new AW, that's how special.

Bush35.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Exactly like that one :lmao: What a beaut.

There are three Alan Wood versions, and three Stu Mitchell versions of this pattern. All of the SM's are in my hands, the AW's are out there somewhere, is it going to be a user?

Would love to know where the other two are, they are family afterall.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The bead blast is holding up really well Stu. As you can see from the pics, the knife has been sharpened quite a bit and used loads too, the beaded finish is unblemished and holding up much better than the brushed. Plus it looks good to boot :You_Rock_

Bush32.jpg

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
The bead blast is holding up really well Stu. As you can see from the pics, the knife has been sharpened quite a bit and used loads too, the beaded finish is unblemished and holding up much better than the brushed. Plus it looks good to boot :You_Rock_
Excellent news... I have used it on a couple more occassions since we had so much success with that one of yours :)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Exactly like that one :lmao: What a beaut.

There are three Alan Wood versions, and three Stu Mitchell versions of this pattern. All of the SM's are in my hands, the AW's are out there somewhere, is it going to be a user?

Would love to know where the other two are, they are family afterall.

It may be used at sometime but alas, not by me. It is a beaut though. I'm a big fan of Alans work, but there are many horses in the stable and i'm looking forward to recieving a new comission from my favourite custom knife 'Miester Tyke'.......................

Afternoon fellas... I'm pleased to hear you are enjoying the knife mate, it's good to see it getting some use too :)

Is that AW yours now Jed?

.............Stu Mitchell! Hi Stu, niether of them are mine really, i'm looking after them for two little boy's.;) Looks like i'm going to have to get them a pair of SM special comissions as well eh!:rolleyes: :D I was going to leave them my extensive collection of Leeds United replica shirts, hhmmmm, i don't think they'd be that impressed.:(

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It may be used at sometime but alas, not by me. It is a beaut though. I'm a big fan of Alans work, but there are many horses in the stable and i'm looking forward to recieving a new comission from my favourite custom knife 'Miester Tyke'.......................

.............Stu Mitchell! Hi Stu, niether of them are mine really, i'm looking after them for two little boy's.;) Looks like i'm going to have to get them a pair of SM special comissions as well eh!:rolleyes: :D I was going to leave them my extensive collection of Leeds United replica shirts, hhmmmm, i don't think they'd be that impressed.:(

That's the thing about Alans work, the things are so damned perfect and clinical you feel guilty using them. To be fair, I would never have used it either, and I have a couple of AW's already sitting in drawers. With Stu's work, they just beg to be fondled, handled and used, they are so tactile compared to the clinical perfection af Alans. One of them will remain clean, but the other two will see dirt and muck aplenty. You can't go wrong with a commission off Stu, the knives he makes for you seem more personal due to the personal contact throughout the making process. Plus he's patient too, which says a lot when having to deal with people like me.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Last year I commissioned another bushcrafter from StuartMitchell based on my design especially for a canoeing trip down the Ardeche river in France. Last week it went through it's paces and performed exceptionally well. Stu really has found the perfect scandi angle that doesn't split or tear food despite being 4mm. This one is something special, and I have another on the way soon. But more of this one....

151FinishedDevalBushcrafterRWL34-3.jpg

In Stu's own words...

Designed by my client, this is the fourth example of the knife I have made, it is also my first foray into the world of Carbon Fibre...

151FinishedDevalBushcrafterRWL34-5.jpg

Steel utilised is RWL34, stock a little under 4mm, the grind is that of a zero ground Scandi, edge honed until polished.

It's superb Carbon Fibre (courtesy of Big Rick) sits over a combination of red and black liners.

What a material this is, impossible to cut, a nightmare to drill, superb with a little perseverance though, to my eye it looks simply stunning!

151FinishedDevalBushcrafterRWL34-4.jpg

151FinishedDevalBushcrafterRWL34-2.jpg

The carbon fibre is a superb handle material and something that I would not have considered if Stu had not mentioned it. It is in short bulletproof, light and ultra resistant to everything, yet still being very grippy when wet. It is like nothing I have ever felt before and has nothing comparable to liken it too. My knife design is quite heavy, but with this material, it balances out perfectly. It is also much richer and darker than the pictures suggest.

DSC03831.jpg

The whole knife stood up to the constant damp all week without any adverse effects at all, although the Alan Wood leather sheath I put it in was soaked throughout and is completely mullered. Due to the deadline in which the knife was made, Stu and I agreed to have the sheath made at a later date by Rapidboy. I was going for a Woodlore style leather sheath, but I have decided on a kydex version instead as this knife will be used exclusively for my boating bushcraft meanderings.

151FinishedDevalBushcrafterRWL34-1.jpg

:You_Rock_

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
I am pleased that you like it, I reckon this one is indeed the bulletproof version, RWL34 and that Carbon Fibre, the CF by the way is the same product used in F1 bodyshells, it is pure CF, no glass fibre fillers, it is as good as CF ever gets...

Enjoy your knife mate :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can't top this knife for me Stu. As you know I've always gone with natural handle materials, and I can't stand micarta, but this stuff has me won over completely, it feels great. Plus the workmanship ain't bad either :rolleyes: In fact, I can't find anything at all to moan about, it's mm perfect, and this higher scandi grind is just great for everything. No wedging :eek: Pity about Alan Woods sheath though, it's gone all stiff and smelly :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE