Twine, rope making and knots book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 18, 2009
Buckworth, Cambs
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a book for making twine / rope. I'd really like one that starts from first principles i.e. how to gather / soak the twine (which-elm inner bark, nettles, lime bark, etc.) and then moves on to show the different ways to make twine / rope.

I'd also like any recomendations for a book on knots, nothing too advanced, just the basic ones for setting up tarps, tieing poles together, etc.

Thanks,

Piers

P.S. Just come back from 5 day 'Native paths' course with Backwoods Survival School (Patrick McGlinchey) in Scottland. Excellent course!, knackering, but very good indeed.

bearbait

Welcome to BCUK!

It's probably a bit OTT for what you want - 3,000 or so knots - but the The Ashley Book of Knots (around £28 from Amazon) is a lovely work that includes some history as well as classifying knots by occupational usage. See if you can get a copy from your library.

Richard Graves' Bushcraft covers basic rope making amongst many other things of interest to BCUK. The book can be downloaded in chapters from here.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE