Day Out Twilight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Thought I would set off for a twilight walk the other day.

I took my bag and change of clothes to work with me, and when it came time to leave I popped into the toilets to change (it was quite liberating being at work in only my pants, even if it was for just a few moments) and then drove up to the top of the North Downs.

Down in the Medway valley it had been an overcast day, but the clouds were high and you could still see a good way even if the sky was like looking up through a Tupperware bowl. Though once atop the hills it was wet and the wind was gusting, like something from a Bronte novel. I was now in the clouds with the squalls. Field of view was no more than a couple hundred yards, slicing through clouds and drisk.

49483462661_f227723183_w.jpg

So I stepped on to the North Downs Way, making for a chalk scarp – a familiar place like a second home, hoping it would give me some respite for a mug of earl grey and the apple I had with me. No, it didn’t. But that didn’t stop me. It was whilst sitting there, tightening my hood around me to keep the wind off, that the light finally passed, moving from murk to gloom. At twilight we see things at their sharpest. Our colour vision may wane, but the focus tightens – at twilight we see the world at our best. The light dims, the eyes open, and we touch the world and experience it. All this half-light – the fog, the moonlight, the twilight.

I was taking a circular route, back up the hill, through a stand of beech and birch, slipping on the mud, and back on to the chalk and mud-sloshed trail.

Tied to a fence was a bedraggled bunch of artificial flowers – a memorial to a loved one. They flapped in the strong wind, lashed and scoured by the weather, like the heart that had been scoured by the loss. The twilight of memory, the twilight of movement, the twilight of evening.

49482977898_b30d57cd9f_w.jpg

The wind and rain wasn’t letting up, and being up on an exposed Down wasn’t helping. The sky had gone from a washed out grey to a washed out dark blue – no stars, no view below, just a white smudge were the moon was. I had seen no one else. No other hikers, no dog walkers, no wind-swept souls. However, it was barely 5pm so everyone else would still be at work.

Last stop would be the modest remains of a castle – just the flint rubble fill of a few walls is all that remains. I was hoping to see an owl, but the weather was too harsh for anything but poets, madmen, and philosophers to be out. So time to head back to the car, time to come off the hill, have myself a bowl of special fried rice from the takeaway, to get home and put out the darkness with the flip of a light switch – to exist on that cusp between light and dark.

49483675632_55103697b6_w.jpg

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Thought I would set off for a twilight walk the other day.

I took my bag and change of clothes to work with me, and when it came time to leave I popped into the toilets to change (it was quite liberating being at work in only my pants, even if it was for just a few moments) and then drove up to the top of the North Downs.

Down in the Medway valley it had been an overcast day, but the clouds were high and you could still see a good way even if the sky was like looking up through a Tupperware bowl. Though once atop the hills it was wet and the wind was gusting, like something from a Bronte novel. I was now in the clouds with the squalls. Field of view was no more than a couple hundred yards, slicing through clouds and drisk.

49483462661_f227723183_w.jpg

So I stepped on to the North Downs Way, making for a chalk scarp – a familiar place like a second home, hoping it would give me some respite for a mug of earl grey and the apple I had with me. No, it didn’t. But that didn’t stop me. It was whilst sitting there, tightening my hood around me to keep the wind off, that the light finally passed, moving from murk to gloom. At twilight we see things at their sharpest. Our colour vision may wane, but the focus tightens – at twilight we see the world at our best. The light dims, the eyes open, and we touch the world and experience it. All this half-light – the fog, the moonlight, the twilight.

I was taking a circular route, back up the hill, through a stand of beech and birch, slipping on the mud, and back on to the chalk and mud-sloshed trail.

Tied to a fence was a bedraggled bunch of artificial flowers – a memorial to a loved one. They flapped in the strong wind, lashed and scoured by the weather, like the heart that had been scoured by the loss. The twilight of memory, the twilight of movement, the twilight of evening.

49482977898_b30d57cd9f_w.jpg

The wind and rain wasn’t letting up, and being up on an exposed Down wasn’t helping. The sky had gone from a washed out grey to a washed out dark blue – no stars, no view below, just a white smudge were the moon was. I had seen no one else. No other hikers, no dog walkers, no wind-swept souls. However, it was barely 5pm so everyone else would still be at work.

Last stop would be the modest remains of a castle – just the flint rubble fill of a few walls is all that remains. I was hoping to see an owl, but the weather was too harsh for anything but poets, madmen, and philosophers to be out. So time to head back to the car, time to come off the hill, have myself a bowl of special fried rice from the takeaway, to get home and put out the darkness with the flip of a light switch – to exist on that cusp between light and dark.

49483675632_55103697b6_w.jpg
Great write up. I enjoyed that very much. Your pictures make me wish I was there.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
A wonderful transition from “standing in just your pants at work” to “existing on the cusp between light and dark”
Brilliant

Reactions: Seagull

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Some wonderfully written words, many thanks for sharing. Lovely images too, capture the mood very nicely.

Would I be right in thinking the remains of the castle refers to Thurnham Castle by Detling Hill?

I've walked that section from Canterbury back to my home in Rochester with an overnight camp in the middle and it's a nice trail. I camped beside the NDW on top of the hill by Broad Street and it was a lovely place to stop, drink in the views and forget about the throbbing feet! I've plans to walk the section from Farnham to Rochester later this year.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sounds like W would like the northern summer, no night just day and twilight. No castle ruins here though.

Dictionary gives something liken: 'open hilly area used for grazing' for 'Downs', is that a fair definition or what is it like? I have walked short stretches here and there in England an Wales but never really seen a list of definitions for various kinds of terrain names. Then again there are dictionary definitions and reality.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Would I be right in thinking the remains of the castle refers to Thurnham Castle by Detling Hill?

Yup, that's it.
If you ever see someone sitting below the cliffs with a mug of tea and sarnie then feel free to come and say 'hello.'

Dictionary gives something liken: 'open hilly area used for grazing' for 'Downs', is that a fair definition or what is it like? I have walked short stretches here and there in England an Wales but never really seen a list of definitions for various kinds of terrain names. Then again there are dictionary definitions and reality.

Yeah, that's about right. 'Down' is a corruption of the Anglo-Saxon word 'dun', meaning hill. The Downs (both North and South) are gently rolling hills, made of chalk and flint, with a thin skinning of soil on top. They are predominantly grassland and give home to many rare plants and animals that can only exist on the calcareous soil. The Downs are also home to some of the largest areas of yew woods in England, although ash trees are the dominant species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE