Tweeds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'll see what I can dig out when I get home. Yeah tweed is good up the hill (for me) blends in (if you get the right tweed for the background), quiet, comfy, weather resistant, fire proof and less likely to cause suspicion than DPM.

Some of the outfit that was on Mallory's body consisted of tweed, and on lab inspection it was noted that the tweed was of such a good/special weave that they recon his outfit as a whole would have been comparible weight and performance wise to a lot of modern alpine kit.

Heres a LINK to living legend Brian Blessed in his Everest attempt in tweeds.

Cheers GB.

I've been doing everyday sort of stuff in a couple of old Harris jacket recently. Don't use them for anything "serious" just dog-walking, taking son to riding lessons, bit of shooting, about town / pub sort of stuff.
Was out in a downpour in one last weekend, was soaked but warm (and a bit "wet-dog"!).

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ok Folks does anyone here walk, shoot or roam wearing good ole tweed, photos if possible.:D

All the time dear boy................meet the family :)

hunting-da.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Tweed is great stuff and deals with the vagaries of the British weather brilliantly. I have a Harris Tweed coat and a jacket which get used a lot.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a Thomas Crown tweed hoody with a 300 weight fleece lining, great for sitting around winter camps but a bit hot for active stuff.

Same as this one

The wifes friend stitches them together for TC so I got a very good price on mine.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Live and die in tweed headgear and tweed jacket and coats. FAr superior to most stuff for our climate

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have a smart tweed jacket which is the single most expensive item of clothing I have ever bought.

However it is not appropriate to wear in the forest; mind you I could always suggest a dress code...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Generally wear tweed plus fours for stalking, though often with a camouflage jacket (this is a pretty typical rig for the local professional stalkers). Very practical indeed. Also tweed deerstalker which is better than a flat cap when it's really cold, though despite the name, not ideal for stalking - it drops forward when you shoot prone.

Mine are made by Haggarts of Aberfeldy.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
In the days before modern materials were used for making climbing breeches they were made of tweed, and my only fault with them was that they seemed to be made with about four layers of material at the junction between your legs, with the tweed being fairly thick and coarse, this resulted in the inside of your legs being rubbed raw, in cold weather if you were wearing rather short briefs. On the whole tweed is great for outer clothing, being wool, it does not lose it's insulating properties when wet, and will absorb a fair bit of moisture from mist or light rain, before it eventually comes through.
Great for Scottish weather.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Tweed breeks, cotton shirt, tie & woollen jumper on shoot days. As I'm running the line, I tend to rush about a bit & don't find I need a coat. Barbour wax waistcoat over the top.
Have a couple of tweed coats but find my DuckDri light & waterproof for the wet days. We've been very lucky with only 1 wet shoot day in the last 3 seasons, it was no fun trying to present birds in winds gusting 60mph on that particular day!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll see what I can dig out when I get home. Yeah tweed is good up the hill (for me) blends in (if you get the right tweed for the background), quiet, comfy, weather resistant, fire proof and less likely to cause suspicion than DPM.

Some of the outfit that was on Mallory's body consisted of tweed, and on lab inspection it was noted that the tweed was of such a good/special weave that they recon his outfit as a whole would have been comparible weight and performance wise to a lot of modern alpine kit.

Heres a LINK to living legend Brian Blessed in his Everest attempt in tweeds.

Cheers GB.

I like the idea of tweed too, it's what it's made for after all. It got poncy because it takes time to make and so not affordable by mutts like us (well me, anyway!). Only laird typed could afford.

I'd consider getting some ...

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Elen,
I don't know if you read Terry Pratchett? In one of his books he postulates that rich folk stay rich as they can afford to purchase good things. These last and never totally wear out so they save money as the houses are stuffed to the gunnels with tatty but everlasting clothing and furniture. Poor folk can't make the origional initial purchase and so will get through ten times the amount of boots say as opposed to the expensive ones. Hence why you often see proper posh folk wandering around looking like well dressed but tattie tinkers whereas the common man looks fresh but cheap in his/her attire. Hence one of his characters the (Newly made) Sir Samuel Vimes can't get used to the posh boots his wife gives him from the attic as he's used to the cheap ones with the cardboard soles through which he can tell which street he's standing on in the dark.
Most of my tweed was second hand and the old stuff especially is barbwire proof and great, though unlike Old Smokey in post #15 I always made sure it was underwear long or nicely lined tweed breeches. (He's a tough one though and it certainly built his character :eek: ). Yes tweeds, wax jackets and old army leather jerkins may get sneered at and get you hassle from some inverted snobs (story for another day) but it's worth the money in the long run. Plus one looks lovely in ones MGB GT on a Brideshead Revisited picnic.
Cheers,
Colin.

Last edited:

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
If you are after tweed check out
http://www.tweedmansvintage.co.uk/

I got a really nice Harris tweed jacket for £60 and their range is always changing so the one for you is maybe just round the corner.
(no affiliation btw)
My jacket is certainly the biz on cold days and it's a three button so it closes up snugly. Nice Barbour scarf finishes the picture!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE