Turbo flame gas lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
please could anyone tell me the dummies way to re-fill my turbo lighter with gas, i know it's simple but i have never tried it.

also could you tell me an apropriate lighter fluid/gas to use

my version is almost identical to the one mr mears uses (shown in "bushcraft page 70) but with an alloy tank.

i know it's stupid but i want to do it the right way

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
You buy a can of lighter gas (not fluid) from a tobacconist's/newsagent/garage and take off the lid. Stick the small tube into the end of the turboflame, and push down, and keep it away from your face. I made this mistake and got butane all over my face which smelt nasty and makes it really cold. If it's leaking, fit an appropriate adaptor (little plastic thing in the lid).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
(tom tom) i've never filled a lighter in my life, i always used disposable ones! :?:

chears arctic hobo, could you go into more detail, like which end ect? :biggthump

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Turn the lighter upside down, insert valve of refil aerosol can, press can down. That should do it. You may have to use one of the adapters that came with the refil, I don't need one for my lighter but it depends on the refil you got. There is no difference between the brands of refil gas in terms of quality.

Paul

Edit: Arctic Hobo beat me to it!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
(tom tom) i've never filled a lighter in my life, i always used disposable ones! :?:

chears arctic hobo, could you go into more detail, like which end ect? :biggthump

It's most likely the opposite end to the flame, look for a recessed hole. It may be hidden behind a flap as well.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Do it so the can and lighter are upside down when you push the spout into the hole. Mine seems to fill much quicker that way.

Bill

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Assuming it's the same as my one, the Swan tin works without an adaptor. The nozzle on the tin is the right size.

One thing I find with people not used to filling lighters is that they "overdo" it, you only need a second or two of pressure to fill a tank that size. Another point applicable to those that do regularly fill lighters is that in my experience the Turbo Flame doesn't give the "I'm full" spurt that most ordinary lighters do.

It's also prone to airlocking (at least mine is) easily rectified by pushing in the valve for an instant with the tip of a pen.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I hate to state the obvious guys....and we all miss it if we can...me included....
But if all else fails, try reading the instructions on the side of the gas bottle and/or those that came with the lighter :eek:): The diagrames on the lighter instructions should help if it has them.... :lol:

Re-fill does need to be upside down or won't fill the lighter.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
im assuming you hold both upside down because the gas is in liquid form, thus removing air bubbles?

i think i shall give it a go now chears for all thge advice! :super:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
How good are they ?? whats the difference??
I have seen them in a local shop.
Are there different types ??
If so what am I looking for ??
The one I saw was about £8 I think?
They seemed to have a display with all sorts of outdoor type gadgets on it but I can't remember the name.
I know there seems to be a lot of lookalike stuff around these days and wonder if this is one of them??
Nearly bought one the other day but wondered if it would be any better than the wee Barbeque lighter I use

leon-1

Generally they are pretty good, unfortunately there are many different types rangeing from the cheap £1 disposable turbo flame that I got from my local tobacconists to the very expensive fashion statement.

Costs vary greatly as well, I have seen quite good ones for around £10. I don't know if they will be any better than the Barbeque lighter, because I don't know A. what the barbecue lighter is and B. what model you would go for.

I have a couple and the one that I favour is pretty good, very reliable and doesn't drink fuel as badly as the other one that I have.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Remember that you'll get a better fill if the canister is at room temp as opposed to being kept out in a shed (obviously don't go warming it up with a flame or a radiator or something like that though!).

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I have the Windmill Shock Pro and this holds a whopping 4.8 grams of gas which means it just goes on and on and on (1 - 2 hours of burn time).

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Just a quick point, once you have filled it up, you may have to adjust the flame to get a good constant flame.
On the base of the lighter there is a recess for the filling port. Around the side is a brass ring with 2 notches. Place a small screwdriver into the notches and turn. Anticlockwise to turn the flame up, clockwise to turn it down.
In my experience they need turning down when first filled and then up again after a short while.

Hope this helps,
Rob.
PS. I think these are pretty good, almost bombproof and very windproof.
PPS. Mine fills with no adaptor on the cannister nozzle.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
You shouldn't use the lighter for a few minutes afterwards either. The liquid gass wth expand cooling the whole thing down and the gass will be more compressed when it comes out if you do it too soon after filling. I'll second the point about it taking very little time. If the gas leeks I think it can get down to about -50C I have frozen part of my finger with this

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE