Tumble dryer fluff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I think that we are really kidding ourselves about being Bushcrafters if we cannot get a fire going on a wet miserable day , with just the natural materials that we can pick up, when we are out in these conditions, with just a flint and steel, or a ferris rod and knife on our person. This is surely the test of a true Bushcrafter. I am not that sure that I am one yet, but there is still hope and something to aim for.

Well said that man!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think that we are really kidding ourselves about being Bushcrafters if we cannot get a fire going on a wet miserable day , with just the natural materials that we can pick up, when we are out in these conditions, with just a flint and steel, or a ferris rod and knife on our person. This is surely the test of a true Bushcrafter. I am not that sure that I am one yet, but there is still hope and something to aim for.

Sounds like a challenge to me - duly accepted. Are ferro rods allowed or just flint and steel?

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
As a backwoodsman, I find I gather any tinder as I go, and replace it before it dwindles. There's nowt wrong in my opinion in gathering tumbler fluff as its an adaptation of the hunter / gatherer in us all. Pure cotton wool, is natural, just not to our location.
Imo bushcraft is using all that is available in our habitat. This includes litter etc.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I can understand your reasoning behind your post as Richard has been a little antagonistic recently.

To be fair though he has provided a VAST amount of help and experience on this forum to many many members.
Although we have bumped heads several times, over some discussions with very strong opinions, i still strongly value both his opinion and experience in many many matters and i do honestly believe he is a valuable assets to this forum.

No idea if this is the case, but we all are only human and we all go through tough times and although we try and keep outside influences and emotions out of our posts there is no doubt that they do creep in sometimes.

So i do agree that some of his recent posts have been antagonistic, but i do honestly believe if you write off his opinions, experience and knowledge then you are missing out.
Plus we are all grown bottom adults here, putting people in a ignore list is pretty sad childish IMO.

With regards to the thread, i do have a interest in alternative fire starting methods (hence opening and reading through the thread) but in all honesty 99.9% of the time i use a lighter, paper or fire starting blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's some good thoughts and ideas on here, although any post starting along the lines of "you're not a true bushcrafter unless..." is a bit harsh. Different people, different ways. There are no categories and there isn't an entrance exam. We're just enjoying ourselves, and all of us choose which skills we want to learn.

The other angle that i think people overlook sometimes is preparedness. There is nothing wrong with carrying your own tinder, prepared in advance, from whatever source. Dryer fluff isn't bulky, so enough can be carried for multiple fires, without any hassle at all.

No-one says you're not a real bushcrafter unless you can staunch the bleeding knife wound in your hand where you slipped when carving with just the materials you find around you. We carry a first aid kit. :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Anyway. Ignoring Statler and Waldorf for a minute (no offence chaps) - I think winter is a particularly hard time to find natural tinder, birch bark would be the obvious one, dried in a pocket. Any others?

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Anyway. Ignoring Statler and Waldorf for a minute (no offence chaps) - I think winter is a particularly hard time to find natural tinder, birch bark would be the obvious one, dried in a pocket. Any others?

Nettle stems and fibre ;)

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Under side of fallen trees for punk wood, pine needles , birds nests , badgers bedding, mice nests etc

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
clematis will be around for another few weeks, inner barks like sweet chestnut and lime de barked and rubbed\buffed and dried in a leg pocket, dead grasses will be in good supply in a non browsed field, thistle tufts again dried in a pocket, gin soaked relatives,

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hey, this reminds me. I have a pocketful of birch bark I collected a day or two back during a lunchbreak at work. Must get it out of my work coat...

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There's some good thoughts and ideas on here, although any post starting along the lines of "you're not a true bushcrafter unless..." is a bit harsh. Different people, different ways. There are no categories and there isn't an entrance exam. We're just enjoying ourselves, and all of us choose which skills we want to learn.

The other angle that i think people overlook sometimes is preparedness. There is nothing wrong with carrying your own tinder, prepared in advance, from whatever source. Dryer fluff isn't bulky, so enough can be carried for multiple fires, without any hassle at all.

No-one says you're not a real bushcrafter unless you can staunch the bleeding knife wound in your hand where you slipped when carving with just the materials you find around you. We carry a first aid kit. :)

Just to be clear I'm not saying that the OP is not a real bushcrafter, I would never say such a thing. Only today after trying and failing several times to get a fire going using a match AND fat wood I resorted to pouring some meths on the fuel! That got it going! The spot I'd picked for my lunch was not as sheltered from the wind and rain as I thought. I got flames a couple of times but the damn thing wouldn't stay lit. So I'm no one to judge a persons skills.

I would however stick my neck out to say that using dryer fluff (or meths!) is not bushcraft, it's just a fire in the woods.

My fire today was not lit using a bushcraft technique, it was lit with modern man made fuel. However I kept it going with dry pine that was hanging up in a tree, the knowledge to do THAT was bushcraft.

In short there's nothing wrong with using man made stuff to light fires but lets not kid ourselves that it's bushcraft. It's just a campfire in the woods. :)

Sent from my phone.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
This talk about is it bushcraft or not, dryer felt or birds nest. Using the same argument, surely everyone of us is guilty of not being 'bushcrafters' because we use a knife manufactured using modern techniques and not a piece of flint. Is that bergen bushcrafty? Or those vibram soles?
For me its a passion for being outdoors, learning the traditional skills infused with modern equipment and tools. If that tool happens to be part birchbark and part dryer felt, then so be it. Surely sitting beside a campfire outdoors is better than a gas heater.

sent from my brain using my fingers.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's a quote on the front page of this website that says "Bushcraft is about being confident and comfortable in the natural environment". Written buy some guy called Tony :rolleyes:

It doesn't specify criteria.

Besides, a while ago I started a thread asking why so many people felt the need to light fires when outdoors when they were not needed for cooking or warmth. The overwhelming response to my question was that people felt 'more comfortable and natural' if there was a fire. It didn't come up anywhere that it made a difference how the fire was made.

I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, though obviously Prawnster has made comments that I'm not wholly in agreement with, but I think it all comes down to opinions. Prawnster, you have yours, and I have mine. There's no right or wrong, so long as we both, and the OP, feel comfortable in what we do. Peace, and let's enjoy our shared passion for being outdoors, and not quibble over techniques.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE