Tumble dryer fluff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Again (and i cant stress this enough) I'm not saying that any individual isn't a bushcrafter for any reason. I'm just simply stating that using dryer fluff isn't bushcraft. It hasn't come from 'the bush' so how can using it for some sort of craft be bushcraft. It's firecraft yes but it ain't bushcraft.

Anyway I'm signing out of this. I've had a drink now and I'm feeling that people are assuming I'm saying things that I'm not actually meaning :)

Goodnight all.

Sent from my phone.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Anyway I'm signing out of this. I've had a drink now and I'm feeling that people are assuming I'm saying things that I'm not actually meaning :)

Firstly, very well done done for walking away instead of getting embrawled into a (possibly) druken argument:You_Rock_

Interms or levels of bushcraft....
How far do you take that?
Saying man made tinders isn't true bushcraft is fair enough but could the same argument not be said for a metal knife (I know this has already been said)
Taking the argument to the end, true bushcraft would be living 'wild' with nothing, not even clothes that haven't been sourced and made on site.
I agree, that's true bushcraft but very few, native tribes even, live like that. I think the times when tribes were isolated from the outside world is over

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I suppose 'real' or 'true' bushcraft depends on your definition of bushcraft. If it just means being confident and comfortable in the natural environment then that could encompass a whole host of things from farming to living like a tramp! :)
The Oxford dictionary definition goes something along the lines of 'skills pertaining to life in the bush.' I think 'skills' could be opened up to 'craft' and 'knowledge applied practically'.
If you were to live life in the bush then you'd probably bring suitable clothing and the appropriate tools. You probably wouldn't, however, be able to bring all the food and consumables necessary for that life in the bush. I would include tinder as one of those consumables. You would have to learn which tinder was available in the bush and develop the skills to make use of it. In other words you would have to use bushcraft.

I used to use dryer fluff when I was first getting into this hobby. It's a reliable way of getting a flame from a spark. But I wouldn't use it anymore, I'd use a match if I had no natural tinder.

Each to their own, light fires how you want to light fires but I believe people are kidding themselves if they think using dryer fluff as tinder is bushcraft.

I'm having difficulty imagining the Ray Mears programme where he goes into the utility room of his house and extols the wonderful properties of dryer fluff as firelighting material :)

Sent from my phone.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm having difficulty imagining the Ray Mears programme where he goes into the utility room of his house and extols the wonderful properties of dryer fluff as firelighting material :)

Sent from my phone.

... but he has done one where he makes charcloth - which in my mind is even more absurd? Get some cloth and roast it on a fire so you can make a fire? Nick a bit of the loft out of a coat or sleeping bag to get an "in extremis" equivalent.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Again (and i cant stress this enough) I'm not saying that any individual isn't a bushcrafter for any reason. I'm just simply stating that using dryer fluff isn't bushcraft. It hasn't come from 'the bush' so how can using it for some sort of craft be bushcraft. It's firecraft yes but it ain't bushcraft.

Goodnight all.

Sent from my phone.

Prawnster, no offence or anything daft like that taken on my part. I'm amazed that there are so many diverse opinions about this and it's good to see it.

I've missed most of my own thread due to shift work but from my own point of view I have an anything goes attitude to bushcrafting, if it works for me and I am not destroying the habitat that I am staying in then I am happy to do it. Plenty of years as a scout and then in the raf have given me a broad understanding of what being comfortable is when outdoors and whatever I can use to maintain that is in, bearing in mind what I said above about not destroying the area I am in.

It's nice to see a good debate on it anyway! Keep it going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE