Truth about down, Never realized it was like this...

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Very disturbing. I'm going to be thinking twice next time I fancy a down based bit of gear :(

[video=youtube;hX0fbyeJAQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX0fbyeJAQU[/video]

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm sure that the production of synthetic fillings is no less disturbing...

MongooseDownUnder

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I prefer synthetic anyway unless some comes up with a way to make wool lighter. But this video is not really surprising especially when the price of some down products is quite cheap.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Everything we use has a consequence, intentional or not, either for the animals that are the source of the down, leather etc or for the environment in terms of things like micro polutants. I guess we all have to take some responsibility for the impact we have through the decisions we make. This is an interesting link

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...-from-synthetic-fibers-is-polluting-the-ocean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Thats why I went with Marmot for my down bag. They are very open about the ethics they use in harvesting their down, and although thats impacted in the higher cost, so be it.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'am not going to look at that video, but please tell me that bird ain't alive :(

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I stopped looking at cheap down jackets a while ago. I'm prepared to save a bit longer to get one where the down is a by-product. I agree though it can be tricky to know your doing the right thing with the manufacturer you choose.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its some ploy to make you spend more money. (Says she whos down products are all second hand.)

sandbender, you are probably right.

Has anyone done a survey amungst birds to see how they feel about down? (or dinosaurs who use down products a lot these days)

(Yes, I still regret walking past that nesting eider...)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If you search for 'live plucking' its been discussed before.

Terrible practices. All my Downs ethically sourced.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE