Truffles

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Has anyone any experience of truffle hunting? Do you definately need a trained dog or pig or is it possible to hunt them on your own? I hope this isn't a stupid question. As far as I know (which isn't a lot) they grow underground slightly especially under oak trees in the Autumn. Huge furry whittlin' tool went with a chap on one of his programmes and took his pig along to help him sniff them out, and I remember reading a long time ago about a chap in north England somewhere who used to hunt truffles for a living with his jack russel I think. Any experience anyone?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
You don't need a pig or a dog, you can find them yourself if you know the right environment and can read the signs....

I can't help you further, but I know a couple of people who go mushrooming in south west France and who get the occasional truffle (without a trained animal).

I think that the pig or dog neds to be trained.

And if it's a big pig, then you had better have a rop atached to a ring through its nose, or you'll not get your truffle; the pig will eat it.

K.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Jon Pickett said:
I could probably borrow a pig off someone, if you want to try.............Jon

Not planning to at the moment Jon but thanks for the offer. I may have a little look in the Autumn if I can find a likely looking spot and can get some pointers on likely places to look for them.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i agree with ketchup. i'm pretty positive truffles don't grow in the uk.
they might in localised areas but nobody is going to tell you where they are.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
They certainly do grow in the UK.

See this stuff taken from here: http://www.truffle-uk.co.uk/home_uk_summer_truffle.php

Tuber aestivum (var uncinatum): the English truffle is roundish in shaped covered with coarse polygonal warts, black in colour outside and brownish and veined with white within; its average size is about that of a small apple. It grows from July till autumn or winter; and prefers beech, oak and birch woods on argillaceous or calcareous soil and has sometimes been observed in pine woods. It grows gregariously, often in company with Tuber brumale and in France and Italy.

Tuber brumale: referred to above, grown in Britain. It is a winter truffle and is found chiefly under oaks and abele trees from October to December. It is black in colour, globose, more or less regular in shape and is covered with sharp polygonal warts: the mature flesh is blackish grey marbled with white veins. The odour is very strong and lasts a long time: the taste is generally esteemed agreeable.

Hope this helps

George

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
If anyone finds a truffle I don't suppose they could send me a bit? I want to use some to surround germinating acorns, hazel nuts and beech nuts and hope to produce a truffle harvest in a few years.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Anyone know what they actually taste like.

Going to watch this thread with interest a guy I work with has just been given some truffle scent to try and train his dog to find them. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Not sure exactly what they taste like.

We used to use truffle oil in the kitchen at one country park where i worked.

It was blindingly expensive stuff, and to be honest the smell put me off trying it :D
It was a very very strong smell and not comparable with anything else i have come accross.

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
Lithril said:
Anyone know what they actually taste like.

Going to watch this thread with interest a guy I work with has just been given some truffle scent to try and train his dog to find them. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

they taste like truffles :lmao: :lmao:

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
Buckshot said:
Not chicken then??? ;)

sorry could not help my self :lmao: it had to be done :rolleyes: i have no idaer what the taste like as thay cost so much and are so hard to find i have no bothered to try them :lmao:

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I believe Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall tried training his pig (Delia) to hunt truffles by using some other, similar scented, but more easily available item.. I'll dig out the DVD this evening and check what it was. She found one, so it must work... :)

ODG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE