Trousers that are waterproof at the knee area.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Not looking for over-trousers, I have those but being very lightweight they do not offer much in the way of abrasion resistance.

Totally waterproof at and just above and below the knee area when kneeling on wet ground, like you do when packing up gear and constant bending or on your haunches becomes tiresome.

Thinking something in the style of craghopper kiwi's, and if I could get zip off or duo zip off leg bottom features that would be ace.

That kind of versatility appeals to me so much, not fussed about the bum area, but waterproof there would be a bonus.

Such a thing available that can take a bit of punishment?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Carpet fitters trousers. They are light weight, hardwearing and have reinforced knee protecters that are usually water-proof (because as we all know, carpet fitters often have to kneel in wet areas to fit carpet)

They have lots of pockets usually used for carpet fitting tools and the expensive versions are adjustable.

As far as having zip off knees, when you have lower leg areas like mine that wouldn't look out of place on a goose, you'd be forgiven for being grateful that his option is not available.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Aldi work trousers, mostly they have the cotton ones, but these have knee pockets so you can fit pads, but they also do a "Kevlar" pair they are double the price(£14 !)but the knees again have pocket, but they are abrasion resistant which makes them slightly water resistant.
Scruffs work trousers(not the lightweight one)again have wear resistant knees so are damp proof, there are loads of others out there.

Rob

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hagloff rugged mountain pant ìì ?

Hmnnn.............interesting, seems to be on the right track, cheers.

Knee pad insert types keep knees dry but surface fabric is soaking from kneeling on wet grass, and the wet wicks through the rest of the fabric and stays wet forever, they are only good for giving knee protection from harsh surfaces, tried them, but abandoned them immediately.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the mk1 Haglofs, they do come with a bit of DWR treatment but it doesn't last much more than a couple of washes, I've not tried to reproof them so not sure if Nikwax or similar will bring them back again. Even from new though, I don't think they would've coped with kneeling on wet ground for long.

Not sure if the mk2s are significantly different though?

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Seems to me there should be a simpler solution to this, manufacturer sews waterproof membrane to knee area (on top of the fabric), plenty of pants out there with patch styling on the knees, so would not look out of place.

Some nice lightly chequered thin rubber for example.

Anyone have a damaged sil-nylon ground sheet or tarp or similar they no longer want? Could use that to make my own knee patches, will pay postage of course.

Or anyone know of sellers of sil-nylon or cuben fibre remnants, cuben would probably look really sh*t, but I could pretend I am a gram weenie :lmao:.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
If you've got lots of dosh

http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/vidda-pro-trousers-long?nosto=Nost-Product

Or the Aldi ones and home made Greenland wax at the knees?

Same problem as the others for me, the waterproof membrane is behind the surface fabric, so does not stop the fabric from wetting through and wicking all over the place, I don't want to be walking about with wet stained\heavy trousers until they dry out, so I will stick out for waterproof membrane on top of the fabric.

I am not a style or fashion victim, but damn, I hate walking into a store or eatery wearing wet knee - grass and mud stained trousers, I can look dossery enough without that :p

EDIT: Mis-read your post Monikieman, thought the Fjallravens had a waterproof or goretex membrane behind the G100 fabric, I got it wrong, oops.

Still want the waterproof material on the surface though, something that would easily wipe clean would be nice.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Far closer to home, have you looked in your local ship's chandler?
Probably waterfront in your nearest port.
You just can't get wet in serious fisher clothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE