Highlander 66L Ben Nevis Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Highlander Ben Nevis 66l rucksack

fqsk6.jpg

SPECS /FEATURES:

Total Capacity: 66 litre
Available Colours: Forest/Grey, Cobalt/Grey, Black/Grey
Lid compartment: Yes
Side pockets: 2 x2.5 litre
Front pocket: 1 x 2.5 litre New Adjustable Breathable Back System
Padded hip belt with zip pocket
Separate bottom compartment
Front ‘quick’ access panel
Reflective piping
900 denier XTP waterproof coated fabric.
2 x pole/axe loops
Shock cord top system
Utility daisy chain
Accessory D-Rings
Full Branded Accessories
Chest strap with Whistle buckle
Rain cover
Draw cord snow closure.

XTP FABRIC:

XTP is a woven fabric especially designed for rugged outdoor use.
This rucksack is made from lightweight, 900 Denier, woven polyester yarns. It has been texturised to give a high resistance to abrasion, tears and scuffs. Also it has a durable, water repelling coating to give maximum water resistance to the bag.

A.B.B.S (Adjustable Breathable Back System)

34glgly.jpg
[

The harness on this rucksack has been well thought out and planned. It is designed so that the weight is transferred onto the pelvis.
The back padding is situated so there are no pressure points and allows excellent ventilation due to the airflow gap between the pack and your back.
The Shoulder straps and hip belt are padded for extra comfort. On this larger model there are 15 adjustment points on the harness allowing better comfort and an excellent fit.

The POCKETS:

Along with the 2 main compartments and the lid compartment there are another 10 pockets

On the outside:

1 small lid pocket below the main lid compartment.
1 front pocket
2 side pockets.
2 small mesh pockets on either side of the bag.
1 zip pocket on the hip belt.

On the inside:

1 big nylon pocket inside the main compartment at the back.
1 mesh pocket on the back of the front opening.
1 mesh pocket on the inside of the front pocket.

The lid pocket beneath the lid compartment is small but ideal for toothbrushes, eating utensils or objects of similar size.

2czbu6r.jpg

One of the most “handy” pockets is the zipped pouch on the hip belt. It is ideal for storing items that you would need quick access to without having to take the rucksack of. Things like change, mobile phone, binoculars etc.

So as you can see there are a lot of places to stow all your bits and pieces. All the pockets are secure which helps to keep anything from coming loose in the bag.

THE COMPARTMENTS:

xctc95.jpg

I kept the rain cover in the lid compartment, although this can be taken out to store a tarp or something of similar size.

The main compartment has plenty of room and is secure with the addition of 2 straps which you can tighten so that everything stays in place even when you open the front quick access panel. There is a large nylon storage pocket at the back which is great for smaller, thinner items.

2j5ie82.jpg

When you open up the front access panel there is the zipped mesh pocket as well.

2n80pq1.jpg

At the very top of the main compartment there is a skirt of material (The Snow Closure) which has an elasticised cord with a toggle to tighten. This makes sure that the weather cannot get into the main compartment, giving extra protection to your kit.

2jeyd1f.jpg

The smaller bottom Compartment is separated by another skirt of material like the snow closure. It can be opened up to make one large compartment if needed. It opens and closes with a strong zip. You also have 2 straps with clips to give extra security. I personally think that a bottom compartment with its own opening is essential in a rucksack as it gives you more freedom in the way you pack your gear.

RAIN COVER:

20f9mgw.jpg

The rain cover is a great bonus to this pack. You can put it on and still carry the bag without it being a hindrance. It comes into its own though when you need to leave your pack outside. When I was out in my hammock I just put the cover on and clipped the pack to the line. It rained for a spell but the bag was perfectly dry. Not only does it help to keep the sack dry but it is also highly visible being a very bright yellow colour which I think is an excellent feature if you are travelling at night.

2 x POLE/AXE LOOPS:

1oucg3.jpg

On the left hand side of the bag are 2 webbing loops. You can securely tighten down the loops and they stay snug to the pack with no movement occurring over long distances. I had a short hatchet with a handle length of 10” and I found that just putting it in the top loop made the hatchet twist and lie horizontal to the pack. I managed to fix this problem by putting the handle behind one of the side straps and tucking the end into the mesh pocket and had little trouble from then. I don’t think I would have had any trouble with a longer handled hatchet or poles, but I do think that an added third loop would be much better all round.

Other Accessories:
D rings: There is one on each shoulder strap. Good for clipping small items on to such as a minitorch, fob watch etc.

Whistle: There is a Handy but not entirely necessary “moulded” whistle on the chest strap. It is quite loud and is a bright orange so highly visible.

239zec.jpg

Pocket Clip: On the inside of the front pocket there is a clip with a split ring attached to it. Useful for an item that you would need to use regularly but wanted secure when in the rucksack.

Shock Cord Top System: Always good for securing extra items that won’t fit in the pack due to space. It is an elasticised cord which is threaded through 4 loops with a toggle to tighten it down.

3508mir.jpg

Utility Daisy Chain: Great for smaller/lighter items. The secure loops allow you to attach Carabiner clips to them. I use them to carry para cord and bungees if I need them.

2dweovq.jpg

Reflective Piping: A must if you need to be visible when travelling at night.

2ngy9ud.jpg

Small Loops: There are 4 short loops on the very bottom of the sack. I use these to tie on my sleeping mat.

I have had this rucksack for a couple of weeks now and it has become an item that I would choose first when going out on a trip lasting more than a day.
Including the bag, my kit weighs in at 25-30 lb give or take a little and each time I have felt very comfortable carrying it.

The A.B.B.S system has made it so I can fit the rucksack to my body shape for maximum comfort and without getting a wet back. All zips, clips and toggles seem very strong and I have had no problems with the seams etc. The straps are a bit too long for my liking but it isn’t a problem.

With plenty of comfort and versatility I would recommend this rucksack to anybody.

Highlander has a good quality range of products that try to cater for everybody’s needs.

For more info on highlander products:
www.highlander-outdoor.com

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Nice review of a useful looking pack, though I can't work out why you appear to be wearing a pair of underpants on your head...:)

ROFL :lmao:

well I was in such a hurry to pack the rucksack full that I forgot to put in the essential pair of pants. Luckily I found a good place to carry them. :D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
actually rather impressed, its a tad better then the military version, more features!
does the rain cover also double as a bag like on the military version? with handled top and bottom and a zipper?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
bushcraftbob: np , I personally think they are worth their money and you shouldnt be dissapointed.

Melonfish : Unfortunatly no they are just a cover with an elasticated edge that fits over the bag but still allows you to use it when you have it on your back. I do think it would have been better to make the cover like the millitary version.

cheers

CBJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE