Trivets, blow pipe and fire steels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hi all,
I've had some time recently so though I'd have a bit of a play
I was inspired to make some trivets using old horse shoes and M10 bolts as the legs. these are using 6 inch and 3 inch legs
I also found some firesteel blanks so decided to put handles on them and whilst at the lathe I'd wanted for ages a fire blow pipe. I got some 6mm ali tube and some plastic and turned this.

hope you like them
2017-07-01_16.51.44 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

2017-07-01_16.47.58 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

2017-07-02_17.08.47 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

2017-07-06_12-22-04 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

2017-07-06_12-22-19 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
that link goes to four images. to get them to show you need to do one at a time.

Here you go, found this on youtube.

[video=youtube;qjy6-u6RU3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjy6-u6RU3g[/video]

As for the trivets etc, nice one! Did you turn the fire steel handles, or was that all hand shaping?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hi all,
I've had some time recently so though I'd have a bit of a play
I was inspired to make some trivets using old horse shoes and M10 bolts as the legs. these are using 6 inch and 3 inch legs
I also found some firesteel blanks so decided to put handles on them and whilst at the lathe I'd wanted for ages a fire blow pipe. I got some 6mm ali tube and some plastic and turned this.

hope you like them
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150763524@N06/shares/7yR969

Being the technophobe I am mages are not posting properly grrr!

Fine work! shame blow pipes are 'prohibited' lol..

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Blowpipes are under the same legislation as pepper spray and pistols. Theoretically a 5 year stretch for possession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Wow
I didn't expect this to be so much click bait!
as the pipe is not exactly straight it would not make a suitable weapon. it was not intended as such
Just saves getting your head too close to the fire...
Finally managed to sort the links. I had to go into the image and then click to view on a photo page. then, I get the option of a BBCode. up until then the option was not available which is why I couldn't see it!

Chris, the handles on the fire steels are turned yes.

Thanks

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks
The trivets are really useful actually, much more so than I first thought.
Not only do they work in and around the fire but you can also put the lids on them when checking the contents to stop it picking up loads of dirt

I'm bringing a few extra I made to the moot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE