Tripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sam442

Oct 17, 2009
Bristol/Salisbury
When I was on holidays in Poland few weeks ago I was thinking about getting 055CX3 which is exactly same as 055XB but carbon fibre. It is lighter and can take more weight. Very helpful when trekking, but decided against it.
I think I got too attached to the one I have now. It's been through a lot and I only have it couple of years.
Ball head is amazing, so easy to adjust to what you want. I also have 3-way 804RC2, but am only using it for strobist work as its bit more precise.

I'll probably get a cf 055 at some point soon, only a little bit heavier than the 190 series but can handle the weight of long (500mm) lenses.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
I find 190 series to be too short for me. I know I could use centre column but this just destabilises camera. I'm planning on buying short column so it would be out of my way if I wanted to go low.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Manfrotto #075 tripod and #136 fluid video head. Great build quality. I originally bought them for celestial telescope use, but used for all sorts (camera, camcorder, sound meter, light meter, etc.)
I've got a Manfrotto 75 too, wouldn't sell it for anything!

I have a Manfrotto ballhead on top, but I also have a cheap Manfrotto fluid video head on a QR plate that I can mount on top of the ball head when I need to do long lens work with moving subjects. Looks odd, but works well.

I also have a Benbo Mk1, but haven't used that for a long time, since I got the Manfrotto 75.

Funny thing, is the weight issue. People talk about lighter being better, but a heavy, solid tripod is often worth it's weight, especially in windy conditions. I used to have a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod, but sold it and got the heavy metal 75.

I do have a Manfrotto carbon fibre monopod (model 449), which is great, extends to about 7 feet long. I use this a lot, almost every time I use a long lens.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Buying cheap tripods like that was the worst waste of money I made when I started out.

They don't do the job properly, they fall apart after any real work and they cost about half as much as a decent pod.

In the end, if you are serious about photography you will have to buy a decent pod and you will have wasted the money you spent on the carp one.

There's no point buying fancy bits of glass for the front of your camera if the camera is moving about when you take the picture.

Agreed entirely !

By the way, I love your website, Wayland, do you manage it yourslef, or have you got someone working behind the scenes? I have a small website myself, and I know it can be quite time consuming to keep up to date.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE