Tripod with chain and raised firepit??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thought I was having a senior moment then when I saw the sale price compared to the RRP. A whopping saving of .... 4p!!

Surely something like that could be home made and cheaper too? I think I'd resent paying £30 for something I know I could cobble together from off the shelf componants... no disrespect of course, it's your money to do with as you will. Just seems pricey to me for what you actually get.

Sorry for bing a party pooper.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thought I was having a senior moment then when I saw the sale price compared to the RRP. A whopping saving of .... 4p!!

Surely something like that could be home made and cheaper too? I think I'd resent paying £30 for something I know I could cobble together from off the shelf componants... no disrespect of course, it's your money to do with as you will. Just seems pricey to me for what you actually get.

Sorry for bing a party pooper.

I bought 3 steel poles the ones that the workmen hang that plastic netting on £1.95 each plus the bloke cut them to size, a metre of chain £3. and 2 s shaped hooks .99p each put it together with some fencing wire = one tripod

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I bought 3 steel poles the ones that the workmen hang that plastic netting on £1.95 each plus the bloke cut them to size.......

From some bloke eh? and no doubt he acquired them legally :rolleyes: Not the sort of thing B&Q do to my knowledge. Anyway, I wouldn't want solid steel as it's far too heavy.

I think I'd resent paying £30 for something I know I could cobble together from off the shelf componants.
To save how much? A tenner at most. I'd be happy to pay a tenner to avoid the hassle, but I do appreciate some people may enjoy the challenge.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I think the amazon tripod sounds good for the money- having the fire pit too makes it good to go and I bet its a right lightweight compared to homemaking it with pig irons :)

I always hankered after the Bon Fires, this sounds a good way to enjoy off ground cooking at a tenth of the cost. Nice spot :)

Biker

To save how much? A tenner at most. I'd be happy to pay a tenner to avoid the hassle, but I do appreciate some people may enjoy the challenge.

Like I said, it's your cash do with it what you will. Personally I do have that tight-fisted attitude when I see things I know I can make out of other things cheaply, and you're right I do enjoy that sort of challenge. Anyway no offense intended mate. Looking forward to seeing pix of it in action. All the best.

About the solid bars tripod though, it'd be ok for car camping but there's no way I'd want to haul that ballast up and down dale... which makes it another challenge again, making it out of something off the shelf that is lighter. I'll shut up now before I really pi$$ you off. :lmao:

Have a good 'un.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Someone on SOTP just reviewed this too and rated it quite highly. Available in Asda in the summer apparently.

Perhaps both products combined would be better?

Hi, this looks really interestng, where did you find the review on sotp? I have searched blooming everywhere and done varius searches but cant seem to find it!!
Cheers
Steve

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Hi, this looks really interestng, where did you find the review on sotp? I have searched blooming everywhere and done varius searches but cant seem to find it!!
Cheers
Steve

More along the lines of someones opinion than a review, but it's HERE.

Like I said, it's your cash do with it what you will. Personally I do have that tight-fisted attitude when I see things I know I can make out of other things cheaply, and you're right I do enjoy that sort of challenge. Anyway no offense intended mate. Looking forward to seeing pix of it in action. All the best.

About the solid bars tripod though, it'd be ok for car camping but there's no way I'd want to haul that ballast up and down dale... which makes it another challenge again, making it out of something off the shelf that is lighter. I'll shut up now before I really pi$$ you off. :lmao:

Don't be silly! I've just re-read my post and I did sound like a miserable A-hole, so it's me that should apologise!

Just after reading this post I came across some metal rods approx 4 foot long which would be ideal for smaller fires. They were garden ornaments and were being binned. I have 3ft of spare chain from an anchor so I guess you were right to a degree.

photo.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I bought one from Lidl a few years ago for canoe trips but it's never been out of the house, a bit of an impulse buy really.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I stayed with a family in Dusseldorf last summer, and this setup was what they used for bbqs. It was superb. After the cooking was done, lift the tripod out the way, stoke up the fire with wood and you have yourself a nice fire to sit round.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I got a eight litre stock pot and two 14cm billys on the grill, it has warped a little since we bought it but we have used it a lot, I binned the legs jut because we move house a fair bit an didn't need to cart them about. But the rest is still going strong I just use some hazel poles instead. :)

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
I got a eight litre stock pot and two 14cm billys on the grill, it has warped a little since we bought it but we have used it a lot, I binned the legs jut because we move house a fair bit an didn't need to cart them about. But the rest is still going strong I just use some hazel poles instead. :)

Many thanks.

Best Wishes
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE