Trip to Wales with Teepee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
On the weekend of 5th October myself and teepee if this parish went on a trip to Wales with the intention of climbing a couple of mountains. Tryfan in particular.

We arrived late on the Friday and after a cracking burger and chips on the way down we had the first night in the 4 star digs that is Petes van.

Saturday morning after bring awoken by an elephant, sorry Pete messing around in the front of the van, we had a hearty breakfast of eggs bacon and sausages in some nice cheese topped rolls, we chatted about the day ahead, Pete decided that as this was my first wet climb of a mountain, and tryfan maybe being a bit much for me on first attempt, we decided to climb the mountain next to it, which I believe is called Glyder Fawn.

2etaqagu.jpg

2uraqu4y.jpg

I didn't get many pictures from the first bit because quite frankly I was s******g myself lol.

But half way up, our lunch spot, there is a lake called Llyn Idawl.

We stopped here and had a brew and a quick bite to eat.
I must say as my first experience, the scenery was stunning!!

qysune4a.jpg

guru3e9e.jpg

udavaryb.jpg

peguhapa.jpg

eru3uved.jpg

Do to my, 'cautious' approach (or unfit and slow depending on how you see it lol)
We were not making very good time at all.

We got a fair way up and came across some other hikers who told us the weather was awful at the summit, so we decided to find a clearing and pitch up for the night around 2700 feet up.

At one point I completely froze due to the shear drop either side of me, but Pete went on a little further to see what was ahead and came back with a story of the perfect ground dwelling spot, I took a bit of persuasion but he got me over the bits I really didn't like!! Well done teepee.

ypaqehy3.jpg

Pete making the best pasta he had EVER made lol

y2ede7a2.jpg

We had a mixture of mist and clear patches for most of the evening, and during the night it rained a fair amount.
It was the first proper test of my new tent, the appy trails 3 and it was a success.

I had a lot of condensation on the inside in the morning, but being a single skin I was expecting it.
How the hell Pete managed the night in a bivi and no tarp I will never no!!
I certainly wouldn't have done it!!

The next morning we got down as fast as we could (some a bit faster than others)
Had done breakie and moved on to the next site which was a nice bit of woodland Pete had been to the week before.

On the way we popped into the neared town, capel Craig? ( sorry if the spelling is wrong) and had a look round all the outdoor gear shops, some I the stuff was amazing!!

The plan was to bum about for the rest of the day and night and then the next morning climb up the mulwyns and spend a night up there.

Unfortunately the weather didnt allow it so instead we waited for the rain to stop and then went for a bimble to some other woodlands at the foot of the mullwyns armed with food and a couple of wood burning stoves to have a bit of a bushcraft lunch.

2a6atena.jpg

Some local fungi (any ideas?)

enyge3uq.jpg

u9ubemeh.jpg

Petes homemade hobo and ti pot

u5e9e5es.jpg

hunuvyqu.jpg

6arygequ.jpg

I got a chance to try out my new titanium element 2.2 stove.
It was excellent!!!

dyjy6amy.jpg

ryjujubu.jpg

It was very efficient indeed!!

zequda7u.jpg

Lnt

a8a9epab.jpg

Some more fungi

egy4e6u3.jpg

We headed back to the van at the other woodland and set up our camp.
It was my first night in a hammock, and I must say I love it!! I'm now a convert!!

Bushcraft tv, raised so we left no sCar

edu8eza2.jpg

pe8upuha.jpg

pu8ygu2a.jpg

Next morning I awoke around 10.30, I have not slept so well for a long long time.

As I was up first I got the coffee on, again I used my element stove but this time with the tatonka meths burner in it

ry7amuga.jpg

Great little stove can't recommend it enough

ebagygam.jpg

After Pete got up at gone 11am it was time to pack up and go home.

We cooked another mammoth brekkie and had it down on a little beach next to a fast flowing river, perfect.

I can't say I wasn't disappointed because it was a brilliant weekend away.

Got to play with some new kit, climbed a mountain and slept in a hammock.

A couple of pictures on the way home

e3u9e9eb.jpg

udy2a8un.jpg

A little stow a way we called bushcraft bob

8ybamupu.jpg

All in all a fantastic weekend.
A special thanks to Pete for driving and being great company again

Thanks for looking, I apologise for the length and vague description, this is the first time iv written a trip report.

All the best
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Steve, nice report mate

Great location, great company and typical Welsh weather, what more could you ask for.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Nice one Steve. Looks like you had a belter. Like the element stove. I think that could be my next purchase. How good was it with the tatonka in it. Was there plenty of wind protection?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Good stuff Steve, nice report mate

Great location, great company and typical Welsh weather, what more could you ask for.

Cheers Rich, it was a great weekend!!
I cant believe the grief I gave you and Pete in Scotland, 2 nights in the dd travel and Im now a member on hammock forums lol!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Nice one Steve. Looks like you had a belter. Like the element stove. I think that could be my next purchase. How good was it with the tatonka in it. Was there plenty of wind protection?

It was excellent mate!!! Next time Im gonna get some training in before I try and climb some mountains lol!!
Poor Pete spent most of his time waiting for me lol!!

The Element was excellent, I used it on top of the mountain with the meths stove in it and had no problems at all.
It will support small pots, like a Ti mug, using the 2 Ti pins that are included and larger pots too.
It was a real success, and for £35 a bit of a bargain tbh!!
If you do get 1 your the perfect man for an indepth review lol

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice one Steve :)

A few more pics ;

First light in the mountains is magic.
DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

The view in the morning. Not a breath of wind.

DSCN1031.jpg

Steve was on form with his mating calls, obviously a quick learner. :p

DSCN1020.jpg

Sticks coming in handy.

Theres more pics but Photobucket won't allow me to upload them, again :(

It was a good weekend with absolutely top company, another hammock convert too :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Any more on the AT3? I've been considering that for a while now. A lot of web reviews are mentioning the condensation. Does it now have pegging points instead of grommets?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Any more on the AT3? I've been considering that for a while now. A lot of web reviews are mentioning the condensation. Does it now have pegging points instead of grommets?

I can't speak for Steve but personally, I really liked it. This one had grommets bit it might not be a newer one. I didn't think it was any worse for condensation than any other single skin coated nylon shelter pegged to ground that I've experienced TBH. Its the nature of the beast.

The temps were hovering at 0-1c and we were in the cloud, with rain and no wind so potential condensation couldn't have been any worse. A tiny mod and it would work well with a hiking pole. I'd also add on stick on panel pull outs to the middle of the side panels to give some more room to avoid touching the wet walls.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great report, thanks for sharing :)

How did the stove perform Pete?

Sent from myPhone

The Snowpeak in the hobo? Just fine thanks mate. Its a £stretcher hobo, slightly bigger than the Ikea one and the bail wire on it is great. ( I swapped it to gear cable to save weight :lmao:)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

I agree totally with what Pete said tbh.
There was a fair amount of condensation in the morning, but I think that with a slight breeze it would have been alot better.

It has 2 big air vents in the front and rear so it should alllow some air flow.
If it had not of been raining I would have left the door open and it would have been great to see how wet it was in the morning.
But tbh next time I will be taking a lightweight bivi bag, doesnt need to be water proof just resistant.

Loads of room inside, and if you can take out the centre pole and use a ridgeline and suspend it, you would get even more room.
The mods Teepee was talking will make a big difference and help shed wind too.
The other mod I may yet do is to use shock cord instead of the gromets just so it doesnt put the gromets under too much stress.

Plenty big enough for 2 people and gear, and you can sit up in it no problem.

Biggest selling point for me, it weighs 600grams!!
Get one, you wont regret it

Hope this helps
STeve

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looks like you camped at one of my favorite spots. From your description of vertical drops can I assume that you went up The Devil's Kitchen?

DSC01554.JPG

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The photo of the bivi spot was taken from Y Gribin, just as it levels off before the final climb to the ridge of the Glyders :)

I could spend days up there scrambling and messing about, my favourite part of Wales.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE