Trip To Sweden

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
While an axe isn't needed, it will speed up a few chores around camp. While I was over there ( from August until last week ) the wildlife hatchet that I carried was more than adequate.
The best advice would be to brush up on your navigation. Go into some big woods that you dont know and find your way around it with a 1:50,000 map.

As for supplies, you'll find all of the essentials in local stores ( the most prominant one that I saw was called ICA, pronounced eeka ). Rosehip or blueberry soup is great for breakfast with some bread, and they have a chocolate bar called "Brek" that is fantastic. I'll have to find a UK supplier.

Cheers, Michael.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As for supplies, you'll find all of the essentials in local stores ( the most prominant one that I saw was called ICA, pronounced eeka ). Rosehip or blueberry soup is great for breakfast with some bread, and they have a chocolate bar called "Brek" that is fantastic. I'll have to find a UK supplier.

The two main grocery store chains are ICA and Konsum; buy local in the smaller communites; for your purposes the chains are equivalent.

While I personally think the regular blueberry and rosehip soups are too sweet they have recentrly started making unsweetend versions, which are ok (still a total loss compared to scratch made stuff, but that is a given).

Small vocabulary for the grocery store:
Blåbärssoppa -- blueberry soup
Nyponsoppa -- rosehip soup
Havregryn -- rolled oats (for porrige)
Vetemjöl -- plain white wheat flour
Rågsikt -- a mix of rye and wheat flour, a good choice for field bread making
Jäst -- fresh yeast, sold in the refirgerated section in small yellow 50 g
packages
Torrjäst -- dry yeast; sold next to the flour in yellow "envelopes"
Bakpulver -- baking powder
Falukorv -- a standard sausage, a decent base for cheap meals (fried slices,
used as a "meat" in stews, etc).
Mjölk -- milk, the red cartons are 3% milkfat, the green and blue are various
grades of skim milk.
Blodpudding -- black pudding. Not as greasy as the offerings I've seen in the UK.
A base victual for children, not all brands contain actual blood (as
opposed to blood protein).
Smör -- butter (as opposed to various margarines, the margaries in foil wrap
are for baking and cooking, not on your sandwitch; use the stuff in
plastic tubs for that)
Renskav -- thin slices of rendeer meat, sold frozen in cardboard packages, a good
base for meals

Most meat sold will be pork or beef, most Swedes have a fear of lamb, and mutton is unthinkable as a food source to most.

Generally you will find the milk section a mine-field; filmjölk, kefir, yoghurt, långfil are all various lactobacillus soured milks, traditionally eaten out of a bowl with cereal (musli, corn flakes, whatever). Långfil is special, do try it. Messmör spread made from boiled down whey, some like it, some hate it (not for the lactose intolerant!); there is also mesost, which is the same product boiled down to a cheeselike state.

Cheeses are various, look at the fat percentage (large number on the package near the name); the lower ones are mild (often also labelled as such: "mild"), the higher ones are sharper ("stark") as a guide. There are varioius processed cheese spreads in tubes sold as well ("mjukost", convenient when hiking according to some). You can also get smoked fish paste in that form...

Bacon is of the streaky variety, not back bacon. Stekfläsk is salt cured slab "bacon", good for various cooking experiments if cholesterol is an essential part of a meal to you (fried slices, diced in cooking, diced and lightly fried in bannock, slices on-a-stick over the fire, etc).

We are very big on recycling; glass, aluminium, paper, plastic, etc all have their own bins in recycling centers, please try to comply (the green steel containers have example pictures as well as text, so there should be no problems). Glass in green and while plastic "igloos" (white for clear glass, any colored glass in the green ones). Any store that sells bottled water/soft drinks/light beer will take the empty for recycling (you pay a depeosit -- "pant" -- when you buy and get it back when you recycle).

Petrol stations generally have toilets for the customers, generally a sign "WC" means a public toilet (sometimes with a sterotyped gents/ladies iconography; girls wear skirts). Sometimes out in the woods the icon is a sterotypical outhouse.

The public lean-tos (icon; a sitting person under a slanted roof) are on a first come basis, any provided firewood may be used (unless there is a fire ban, of course).

Personally I drink just about any "bush" water in lakes and creeks, others are fuzzier and/or have weaker stomachs. As usual; look upstream and use common sense.

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
hey there

sounds like a lot of fun what you are doing ;)

there is a really nice hostel near gothenburg in a place called Lerum. It used to be army barracks and now they made a youth hostel.

cheers

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Some great info there forestwalker! Thanks mate.

Does anyone know about taking lamp oil on a plane? or is it common to pick up over there? Im after some citroenella if possible? :S

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Oh - don't mistake the Blåbärsoppa for regular fruit juice. I made that mistake once and took a large gulp out of the pack on a hot day. It was all over the place. Disgusting :)

-Emile

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
packages

Buying some of this stuff was the second culinary mistake that I made in Sweden; I thought that it was a small cube of butter. The first was buying what I thought was a small "sausage" of cheese, which turned out to be garlic butter. It was still quite nice in fresh bread with some salsa though.

forestwalker

packages

Buying some of this stuff was the second culinary mistake that I made in Sweden; I thought that it was a small cube of butter. The first was buying what I thought was a small "sausage" of cheese, which turned out to be garlic butter. It was still quite nice in fresh bread with some salsa though.

I have heard a story (FoaF , but anyway) about someone wondering (after a year) why (a) the toothpaste tasted fishy and (b) was sold in the refrigedrated secion in the store. Then someone pointed out to him that "böcklingpastej" was a smoked fish paste, not toothpaste...

By the way, should I warn you that the tins marked "surströmming" are not a good pick for casual snacking? Or tell you that they contain tuna in water, perfect for quick eating in your tent if it is raining? Reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming is cheating!

Ticks are a pest. Check yourself everywhere ( and I mean everywhere) each evening and remove any critters with tweezers or special tool. Jab is a good idea, but have never got round to having mine.
That reminds me of a friend visiting us in Sweden a few years ago, who discovered a new meaning for "a tick in the box".

Last edited:

forestwalker

Ticks are a pest. Check yourself everywhere ( and I mean everywhere) each evening and remove any critters with tweezers or special tool. Jab is a good idea, but have never got round to having mine.

I personally prefer the "lasso" style tool (green and white plastic ballpoint pen like, with a fishline loop, buy them in the local pharmacy (Apoteket) or many sports stores for SEK 20-30 IIRC).

Looking at the maps (e.g. http://www.fasting.nu/riskarea.html) you may be in the risk area. You need two shots, with a few weeks in between.

That reminds me of a friend visiting us in Sweden a few years ago, who discovered a new meaning for "a tick in the box".

I'm surprised if the tick was actually attached intravaginally, but in the vulva would not be unexpected (I've had a scrotally attached one)

I personally prefer the "lasso" style tool (green and white plastic ballpoint pen like, with a fishline loop, buy them in the local pharmacy (Apoteket) or many sports stores for SEK 20-30 IIRC).

Looking at the maps (e.g. http://www.fasting.nu/riskarea.html) you may be in the risk area. You need two shots, with a few weeks in between.

I'm surprised if the tick was actually attached intravaginally, but in the vulva would not be unexpected (I've had a scrotally attached one)

Ouch!
Yes not internal. Without getting too gynecological, I think Labia Minora is the correct term for the precise location.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE