Trip advice UK family holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're 3 days away from a two week family holiday, two adults and one 8 year old. First week in Dumfries and Galloway camping at a pre-booked site. We've got a camper which we're using as transport not sleeping in as the site is full but they're fitting us in with a tent in camping field. No hook up.

Second week we've got nowhere booked! There was talk of heading north or to Northumberland. Also talk of simply parking the van and cycle touring for a few days. D&G is probably a good place for that. We could stay in the area for that.

Anyone got a good suggestion for family camping sites or areas try go to up there? We're from South Cumbria so going south from our first week will get like going home early. We don't fancy going too far north because it'll be a long day travelling back. Not great with active 8 year old burning his switch or tablet battery!!!

I know there's well travelled people who probably know the areas that might be worth going to. The big trouble is it'll need to be away from honeypot places as they won't have camping or van places. I fancy a place with a hook up so we can charge phones, battery packs, etc.

I know it's last minute but we've had a busy time of late, lots of other priorities and this last week I've been isolating for COVID reasons but still having to work a bit without the right tools for the job. This is why I'm asking for help with ideas or shortcuts to finding places to stay and visit. I'd have liked to visit the crannog centre place, but there's been a disaster there. I'm not sure there's anywhere quite like it.

I appreciate any suggestions or time taken to reply to my inquiry.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
There are quite a lot of Pubs that will allow you to park overnight free, obvious they expect you to nip in for a drink or a meal, quite a few cater for tents, it may be worth scouring the net, once you have a route planned, many do a wonderful cheap breakfast.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Sounds good Paul, need to get me to D&G as I've heard and seen photo's of the superb sea fishing out that way.

What about a possible trip to the isle of Arran? There's a few campsites on there. Not sure how busy they will be. Beautiful spot, we stayed at a site on the very southern tip. Can't remember the name though. Quite cool getting the ferry too.

Try pitchup.com for a few ideas too. They don't have all the campsites listed but it's an idea of what is around and its easy to see availability and facilities.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
What about a possible trip to the isle of Arran? There's a few campsites on there. Not sure how busy they will be. Beautiful spot, we stayed at a site on the very southern tip. Can't remember the name though. Quite cool getting the ferry too.

Sounds like Seal Shore on Arran to me, we went a few years back, lovely spot. Found it in Cool Camping (the book) but their website is pretty handy too.

I suspect Arran will be full, but you may have more luck phoning around than relying on online availability listings. We’re stuck in the same boat after another flight to see the in-laws in Germany was cancelled.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Seal sands was one idea but I think the ferry bookings are limited with spaces..

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Mr P,

Try a search on the below site, plenty of choice country wide.

However may be advisable to seek sites on high places and perhaps take a dinghy going by the forcast!

Cheers

Boots

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure where to go as much as site to go to. Any ideas on places worth going to that might be a bit out of the way so more quiet? D&G always used to be a quiet corner. Good roads for cycling on too. Not as busy as the Lakes.

Yes, wet now but I'm hoping it'll get better next week. It looks like it'll dry up a bit for Sunday/ Monday. Worst case scenario we've got the van to retreat too. Although getting off a wet, grassy, muddy camping field might be an issue.

After a self isolation period I'm itching to just get out there!! Saturday is freedom Day for me!!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hi! A week back now and ended up a week at a campsite on n the shores of Loch Ken. Then home for a few days and up to Northumberland just north of Alnick.

Good weather first week except for a couple of wet days to the end. Then mixture of mostly good with a bit of rain showers in Northumberland. Fortunately they were bother not as busy as expected despite the campsites supposedly being full.

Love castle Douglas. It's got a community feel with a town centre of small, independent retailers. Felt like a touch of the past!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE