Trimming ends of paracord?

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Tadpole.
What uses have you seen blue dyneema used as cord?
I only asked, as I was informed by a company that make or import dyneema that the cord is always white (when I tried to place an order, they informed me that what I was calling dyneema cord (as that is what is was sold as) was not all dyneema, as per the posters below's comments). Of course the sheaths/mantle come in all colours, but the inner cord is white. Rucksacks are often said to be made of dyneema, but the dyneema in the rip stop is always white too.

Do you have any pics of blue dyneema cord (as cord, and not as a garment)? I know some strong lines etc can be made of dyneema which then has a blue coating applied,but the essential component dyneema is still white.
It would, be interesting to have a new source of thin cord :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Am i right in thinking the dynamee used as whinch rope is the same stuff as you guys are discssing, if so ive used purple,blue,white and lime colored stuff, it has no core to it just the main line which if you cut it across would look like a chinese fingure trap,

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
if you're doing loads its worth getting a hot knife work brilliantly. palm and needle whipings work perfectly well on braided ropes no whipping takes strain anyway

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi Tadpole.
What uses have you seen blue dyneema used as cord?
I only asked, as I was informed by a company that make or import dyneema that the cord is always white (when I tried to place an order, they informed me that what I was calling dyneema cord (as that is what is was sold as) was not all dyneema, as per the posters below's comments). Of course the sheaths/mantle come in all colours, but the inner cord is white. Rucksacks are often said to be made of dyneema, but the dyneema in the rip stop is always white too.

Do you have any pics of blue dyneema cord (as cord, and not as a garment)? I know some strong lines etc can be made of dyneema which then has a blue coating applied,but the essential component dyneema is still white.
It would, be interesting to have a new source of thin cord :)
I doubt you'd see much, as it is mostly used in side the body and only from this May just gone.
http://www.textileworld.com/Articles/2010/May/Dyneema_Purity.html
I kind of think that it may be a few years before the skinny is used for other applications. but your statement that dyneema is only white, no longer holds

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Tadple.
Fair enough, so you aren't talking about outdoor dyneema cord, or dyneema cord as buyable for use by the public, or dyneema cord as applicable to this thread in any way lol

Yes, in that case, stuff I can't buy or use for anything to do with this thread now comes in another colour...Great !

I had hoped you were going to tell me something useful, that would actually change my statement too, or be useful to my gear making. oh well lol
Now let me get this clear....If I try to buy dyneema cord (as per thread) for outdoor or hiking gear use, and I go to every shop I can, what colour(s) will I be able to buy it in?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
teehee color
1272983192605_hz-myalibaba-web-temp2.hst.dsl.en.alidc.net_311.JPG

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Now let me get this clear....If I try to buy dyneema cord (as per thread) for outdoor or hiking gear use, and I go to every shop I can, what colour(s) will I be able to buy it in?
Any colour you like, as long as you understand that the outer will be different to the inner. Just like 550, or anything that is manufactured, it will have external components that differ from external components
But the real test is, if Royal DSM, (you know the people who make it) are happy to sell you a blue sailing sheet, or black body armour, or floating line in pink, and are equally happy to put their name to a product called dyneema which is every colour under the sun, despite only the core being made of pure dyneema, who are we to complain.
So to tell people they are not buying dyneema, when just from a point of accuracy they are…

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi ged.

No we aren't lol, we are just witnessing tadpole wriggle, and fail to point out that dyneema cord (not the mantle/sheathing, or sail material, or body armour (which doesn't just come in black), or any other futile distraction), but only CORD, as per the thread subject only comes in white lol.

It's all only banter at this end, but I do have to point out that tadpole and I live in the same area, and I did just have to show his post on blue dyneema to one of the managers in a good outdoor store in Bristol.....Only to be told, 'nope, you can still only get white cord'.

While it is true that you can use blue dyneema THREAD for surgery etc, I was under the impression this was a bushcraft site, and was trying to help another poster in identifying CORD, and not buying supplies for surgery:lmao:

back again to why this is not deep:
Dyneema has a very useful property of not stretching much in use, which is why a coated version is often used for winch ropes (as mentioned in this thread), for bushcraft use, it is very good for tent/tarp guy lines, as it will not go limp over time, or after getting wet. This keeps your ten/tarp in good shape. Dyneema is a lot more expensive than para cord, but then is much stronger size for size. A 2mm diameter Dyneema cord will pack much smaller than paracord, so could be a very good choice if you wanted to carry a long length of spare chord.
A lot of new outdoor gear has Dyneema sewn in as a rip stop, and this pushes the price upwards. It is just worth knowing about the properties of Dyneema so that you can understand why the cost has gone up, and then make an informed choice on whether the extra money will be well spent :)

Sorry for thread drift.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE