Tried making nettle cordage.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Well I tried making a nettle cord today and failed badly, I ended up with ALOT of stings all over my hands, but I did make cord from young ivy vines, I made a lean to shelter it was OK, but while I was walking home I fell in a gorse bush, and it was still full of spines, oww.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Now that's the way to learn matey! how did you go about trying to turn the the nettle into strands to then layup in to cordage, and at what stage do you think you went wrong matey, OH, and gloves are winners:)

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Tell us what you did with the nettles chief and we should be able to help. With experience or gloves you'll find how not to be stung.

I always keep a couple of Docken leaves to hand just in case.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
if no gloves or fire, then you will get stung, it will always hurt, but, grasp at the base of the stem the close your fist above the other hand, around the stem and in one fast move, slide up the stem removing all the leaves, no more stining untill you do the next, or wilt briefly over fire and do the same action, hell of a lot less stinging, or wear gloves, no stinging, then move onto your next stage dude,

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
if no gloves or fire, then you will get stung, it will always hurt, but, grasp at the base of the stem the close your fist above the other hand, around the stem and in one fast move, slide up the stem removing all the leaves, no more stining untill you do the next, or wilt briefly over fire and do the same action, hell of a lot less stinging, or wear gloves, no stinging, then move onto your next stage dude,

I know it will sting without gloves or a fire to kill the bristle which inject you with the sting/poison, but anyway it's not like a snake bite, you can bear it easily (although fater about 5 hours, I can still feel the stings, and there are bumps) , thanks for all the help guys.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I stung myself all the way up my forearm the other night gathering blackberries, never saw the nettle and just dived in without thinking.

I forgot how much a load of nettles can give you a bad day, I fell through a greenhouse roof once and landed in a forest of nettles :(

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
You can remove the stings with bare hands without being stung it just needs bravery and experience but keep dockens to hand.

If you do get sting, crush the docken leave up, spit on it and rub on the stung area this'll soothe it very well.

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
You can remove the stings with bare hands without being stung it just needs bravery and experience but keep dockens to hand.

If you do get sting, crush the docken leave up, spit on it and rub on the stung area this'll soothe it very well.

Ahh are these known as doctor leaves commonly?

Hmm, there is small bubbles of pus where I've been stung with the nettle. :(

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I haven't looked at the tutorial but what I do for nettle cordage is to use half a stem per strand of cord.

As the stem tapers to the top, the strands get thinner- I pull material from the thicker side to even it up or add in a new strand. Remember that it's only going to be as strong as it's weakest section!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE