Trevor Ablett Pruner knife

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Any of you use a pruner knife reguarly? And if so what for? I mean a folder, not a billhook.

122400_122429.jpg

peach-pruner-knife-rosewood.jpg
]

opinel_pruner.jpg

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Yep, cutting herbs, salad or veg in the garden, the hook ended blades help with catching and cutting the stems and leaves which tend to slide off the end of a normal blade.

Cheers, Paul

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I work as a gardener, but use either a sak farmer or trail master. I like the idea of a pruning knife, but find the others far more practical.

Rob

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I'm do gardening, grounds maintenance.
I also have an Ablett pruner, my EDC, which I have had for years, and has been sharpened so many times, it's nearly flat......
For most the cutting I do, a pruner shape blade is just so much better, whether it is actually pruning, or cutting string, or any other multitude of things.
The only thing it really lacks is a piercing point, but I can live with that.
When the going gets tough, I find the hook on the end allows more pressure to be put into the cut, without the fear of the blade slipping off whatever it is that's being cut.
Hate that Opinel, by the way, moreso than most Opinels, which is quite a bit.
I'm guessing that's designed with a specific purpose in mind. Certainly not something I would buy. The other two are right up my street. Apart from the Stainless blade. Gotta be high carbon for me, I'm afraid. Seems there is less high carbon pruners than stainless ones about. I think even Ablett has said he will be mostly making stainless.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I can see how they would have their place. Im not much of a gardener though. I wanted an ablett ettrick knife, in stag, [not camel bone] but Trevor Ablett stopped making his knives in Stag about 15 months ago.
I managed to source an ablett farmers knife in stag, it has a pruner for a second blade.I was told they have thick carbon blades.
I figured it could come in handy for collecting plants, and it seems like some of you really like them. [I saw the photos of your ablett pruner harvestman. Ouch! Thats looked like a real beauty too]
This will be my first trevor ablett knife, and I am really looking forward to receiving it. Ive been wanting a nice hand made folder, from stag, or similiar, but some seem to run into the hundreds of pounds!

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I used to, but to be honest I found normal shaped blades just as/more useful. I do however love the look of the opinel one! I found keeping a knife in my boot, just tucked into the top was also a good way to go as foraging with one on my belt dug into my beer belly. One in the boot was easily reachable for me at all foragy times!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, Ive just been out with the dog, [laying in wait for twenty minutes, we spooked 4 roe deer, highlight of my day, and hopefully he's learning that running around like a maniac doesnt always pay off!]

And came back to a weighty parcel! [Dont you just love that? :D]

Completely new style for me. But presumably identical to what they were using 100-200 years ago?
Having had a look at the pruning blade, I have no doubts it could be used a substitute for a billhook, with certain size rods, of hazel and willow.
[If you use an axe to cut them down, it splits the stub, whereas the upward cut used by the billhook, gives the best finish for wattle hurdles, laying hedges etc.]
You can also cut lower to the ground, with the pruning type blade. So if you are managing a woodland, and want a coppice, you need a blade this shape. Which is why they've been around for centuries.

[Been having a browse through my copy of Ray Tabors, encyclopedia of green woodworking!]

So maybe it'll make a good foraging/woodsman blade. Its quite heavy duty.

The lambsfoot is perfect for cutting leather/birch bark.

Anyway, here it is, my new ablett farmers knife from stag, single brass bolster, brass liners, and pins, high carbon steel, sheepsfoot and pruner blade.

What does anyone think of it?

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very nice knife Dave; one of those would sit very nicely in my pocket. Good to hear that the hound is learning to be more measured in his approach, one of the hardest things to get across to 'em.....:)

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Love that. That would suit me perfect.
The only thing that puts me off a knife like that, is the there is always a folded blade digging into your hand when using it, but I guess I could live with it.
If I was really fussy, I'd want the other blade to have a sharp point.
Beautiful knife though. Look after it, and it will take years of hard work. I've had mine well over 10 years, and it's taken some serious abuse. It's about had it now, but I can't complain.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers the comments Fellas. :)

I've had mine well over 10 years, and it's taken some serious abuse.

Get a photo up, lets have a look at some pruners. :)

Last edited:

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Either I get off my butt and make one, or it's going to have to wait till summer.
Business is a bit slow this time of year.

The blade length is UK legal EDC, but that doesn't really matter to me. It's a tool for my job, and I've got every right to carry a bigger one, which I could do with really.
I could really do with making or buying one about an inch longer, with a bigger handle. Bit undecided yet.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have used an Ablett pruner in the past, but get on better with a Barlow and sheepsfoot now. Mine is yellowed and tarnished now
Ablett Antler by British Red, on Flickr

What made you choose the clip-point over the pruner Red?

I would have thought that the pruner would be ideal, for collecting your produce and such from your gardens?

Last edited:

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I can see the appeal of a straight edge for cutting softer stuff, and definitely see how a clip point is the way to go, if you slicing stuff on a flat surface. It keeps the hand up off the surface.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What made you choose the clip-point over the pruner Red?

I would have thought that the pruner would be ideal, for collecting your produce and such from your gardens?

Some jobs I do need a decent point Dave. Prepping small game for example, a fine point for the anus cuts and launching is helpful. I'm not going to change knives for each job I do, so clip point it is. The sheepsfoot works fine in my garden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE