Trent Knife and Tool (TKT) “Allen Field Knife” Review (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hello everyone, I’m delighted to be able to do this review on this lovely field knife.

Ok first up I'm no knife expert so please put up with layman's terms for this review. Also please note these are my own opinions, I do not work for Elliot at TKT nor am I being paid to do this review.

This is a 4” blade full tang 3mm 01 tool steel knife with a Boxwood handle, Wenge Bolster and orange G10 liners. It is a sabre grind with a micro bevel and is a seriously sharp tool.

TKT Allen plus sheath.jpg

The handle shape I found both aesthetically pleasing and great to use. There is no moulding for fingers so it allows you to quickly and comfortably adjust your grip whilst in use.

002.jpg

The topside of the handle is wider than the bottom, which I found great when you want to put the pressure on to cut deep and away from you with the heel of the blade.

001.jpg

Thankfully there is no gimping to this knife. Being able to cut deep with precision from the middle to the heel of the cutting edge is a breeze.

Cutting Willow 001.jpg

Elliot’s “Allen” field knife is razor sharp, I'm currently out in my CVRT shelter and this is day 4 and I haven't touched or even thought about any other knife.

Cut willow.jpg

The sabre grind with the micro bevel allows the knife to slice like a hot knife through butter especially through harder wood.

Cutting Willow 003.jpg

Yes I’ve battoned with it, its my preference, and it still looks like knew.

The spine is a precision 90 degrees and works very well with my fire steel.

There is no lanyard tube, some may want this, I think they get in the way. I’m sure if it was something you really wanted it could be added to the handle.

This knife comes with a Kydex sheath that is a great fit and is very well made. It’s not my personal preference but its what was supplied. I can appreciate Elliot’s stance on a knife sitting in wet leather doesn’t do the steel any good but the Kydex sheath is not for me. The belt clip is strong but it just doesn’t fit in with the rest of my set up and its awkward to draw.

Allen plus sheath 2.jpg

Summary
Elliot guarantees this knife for life so it’s a no brainer for me.

It’s smaller than most bushcraft knives, but still a great fit in the hand due to its plain notch less handle style. I used the knife for 4 days with no hot spots on my hands during use, it’s still as sharp as it was when I received it. Well worth the money, a tidy looker and a great user knife too.

I hope this helps, any questions please PM me.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the review - being a bit dim, I'd been looking on the original posting in Makers area and so have only just seen it.
Very nice pictures and clear comments. Any views about cutting notches and doing other tasks a la Kochanski?
ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE