Tree roots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jazzman

OK I have noticed that (Particuarly Beech and Pine) roots have a tendancy to burn brighter and warmer than other parts of the tree. Why is this?

I have taken to collecting roots around my camp and loading them onto the fire at night (a source of light)

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Jazzman said:
OK I have noticed that (Particuarly Beech and Pine) roots have a tendancy to burn brighter and warmer than other parts of the tree. Why is this?

I have taken to collecting roots around my camp and loading them onto the fire at night (a source of light)

here in Norway the Pine roots are very sought after. especially if they have been in the ground attached to a dead tree for a while. You actually pay Big bucks for them.

i think it has something to do with natural resins that are here.

you'll also find that juniper bushes will burn like this if you break the stems before loading them in... I have used a live juniper as a certain way to start a fire...even in the rain... maybe i got lucky.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Could it be time of year dependant.... In spring doesnt the sap rise in many trees, and return back to the roots later in the year..??

This would increase the sap level in the roots wouldn't it??

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Could it be time of year dependant.... In spring doesnt the sap rise in many trees, and return back to the roots later in the year..??

This would increase the sap level in the roots wouldn't it??
Yes, but wood is usually gathered when it is dormant.... not when its is growing (though there are exceptions) and so would be full of sap.

Ed

J

Jazzman

Right what I'm gathering here is that it depends on the resin concentrations in the roots.

How do you mean big bucks, what would you pay for a pine root?

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Jazzman said:
Right what I'm gathering here is that it depends on the resin concentrations in the roots.

How do you mean big bucks, what would you pay for a pine root?
these roots... looking at about 20 quid a kilo.
very rare you see them for sale tho, people who know where they are tend to get a hold of tractors and pull em up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE