TREE RATS.........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
Are they tasty or are they not worth the bother....I,ve got a few in the freezer that had given to try...any recipes would be welcome.... :rant:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
OK I've eaten a few, I believe if something is going to give up it's life for you the least you can do eat it :wink:

How do they taste ? They're OK, not something to write home about but OK. A taste not too far away from rabbit I suppose.
If you can try to get a young one as the older ones taste worse and are tough. Easy to sort out for the plate though as the bones are so small you can cut them with scissors :-D
The strangest thing I found was looking at my plate and seeing the whole carcass on it next to the veggies - very wierd :-? :-?

Give them a try, if they're in the freezer you might as well :mrgreen:

If you get the chance to try Rook go for it. Rook pie with a little bacon mixed in is very nice :-D again use young birds.

Good eating

Mark

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
nice on the bbq but i don't get many here i have to travel to pal over there
to shoot them before going to the midland game fair each year

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I've had a couple in a stew. I can't say I was that impressed although it would have been heaven after a couple of days living from the land.
I've heard it said they are better September onwards as they've been fattening up on nuts for the winter. Even so the only real meat to be gained is from the legs.
If you want to get maximum calories then a stew is the answer.

I think Hugh referred to them as flightless partridge.

Matt

P.S.
Reds - lovely native cute cuddley, leave well alone. Ahh. :0:
Greys - Alien tree killers - zap as many as you can eat. : -l)

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Sainthaze said:
Leave the squirrels alone, they're not doing you any harm. There must be loads more things you can eat when foraging in the forest and jungle without harming the wildlife.

Have you seen the damage these little critters can do??? Reds needs all the help they can get. The 2 greys I have eaten have been as tough as old boots, not the best meat but would keep you alive. Rabbit IMHO is alot better and easier to get.

Simon

Shrek

Banned
Jan 24, 2004
Sainthaze said:
Leave the squirrels alone, they're not doing you any harm. There must be loads more things you can eat when foraging in the forest and jungle without harming the wildlife.

They're cute but they also dig holes in my garden :-x

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Buckshot said:
How do they taste ? They're OK, not something to write home about but OK.

I don't know what the one's taste like where you live but where I come from, squirrel is superb dining! I've eaten hundreds as well as hundreds of rabbits (domestic and wild). I used to raise rabbits and I like a wild rabbit over a domestic and a squirrel over a wild rabbit. To each his own I say.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hoodoo said:
Buckshot said:
How do they taste ? They're OK, not something to write home about but OK.

I don't know what the one's taste like where you live but where I come from, squirrel is superb dining! I've eaten hundreds as well as hundreds of rabbits (domestic and wild). I used to raise rabbits and I like a wild rabbit over a domestic and a squirrel over a wild rabbit. To each his own I say.

I agree entirely - if you like 'em, you eat 'em. Perhaps I'm bias as I'm not too keen on rabbit either I suppose that might have something to do with when I was a lowly underpaid Gamekeeper that was one of our main sources of meat :cry:

Enjoy :wink:

Mark

Brynglas

:idea:

Definitely worth the bother, just cut them up into pieces, legs, saddle etc. chuck in a big frying pan and brown lightly.

Add a couple of thinly sliced onions salt and pepper, and if you have some olives a slack handful of them go very well too.

Add a handful of sage and thyme or marjoram, whatever you have, but sage works well.

Add a good glug of wine, whatever you have to hand, oak leaf works very well. put a lid on the pan and leave for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes you can chuck some vegetables in if you like, at home I use artichokes, but any sort of sprouting greens will work, a spoonful of tomato puree and throw the lid back on, fifteen minutes later voila! a feast fit for a king.

I've made this out in the woods and at home it works as well with rabbit and chicken.
Your friends will be impressed!! :biggthump

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Brynglas said:
:idea:

Definitely worth the bother, just cut them up into pieces, legs, saddle etc. chuck in a big frying pan and brown lightly.

Add a couple of thinly sliced onions salt and pepper, and if you have some olives a slack handful of them go very well too.

Add a handful of sage and thyme or marjoram, whatever you have, but sage works well.

Add a good glug of wine, whatever you have to hand, oak leaf works very well. put a lid on the pan and leave for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes you can chuck some vegetables in if you like, at home I use artichokes, but any sort of sprouting greens will work, a spoonful of tomato puree and throw the lid back on, fifteen minutes later voila! a feast fit for a king.

I've made this out in the woods and at home it works as well with rabbit and chicken.
Your friends will be impressed!! :biggthump

Oh,
Sounds good! when the little s*d who has started visiting my garden starts raiding the fruit trees come the autumn meets with a .22 air pellet gues what it will turn into!
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE