Tree-less Hamocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
So I had this idea, created by some things I have heard: hamocks have (supposedly, I've not hammocked) superior comfort to sleeping on the ground, I saw a video on stealth camping that recomended hanging a hamock as low as possible, so it wasn't obtrusive and there are metal structures for sale to support hammocks.
My idea s two poles that can be re-jigged into A-frames and two really, really good stakes/ground-anchors. the hammock ends are put over the A-frames and then the ropes are tensioned to the ground-anchors.

it would work out looking something like this
- ___________
/| (hammock) |\

Whaddya think guys? would it work? or would the poles have to be to thick to be easily carried? Or does this idea already exist? (If it doesn't, I call dibs!)

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Already exists I believe , have seen a commercially sold kit from one of the hammock companies ( can't find link at moment ) but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more information .

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have once used a hammock between a tree and a cliff face, using a climbers camming device in a crack in the cliff.

I suppose that means I've cut down my tree usage by 50% but cliffs are kind of in short supply compared to trees and I'm not sure I would recommend sleeping where a falling rock might clatter you on the head.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Has anyone heard of this thing called `the ground?`

Its so say availible in many places...I have never had any trouble finding one.

you have to have some sort of mattress though...the ground is hard; if its at all soft, chances are it will be wet.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Damn, I knew I couldn't have been the first to think of it.
Just as well really, I'd probably wind up making something as heavy as a four-poster bed and then giving up!

Oh and Tengu, sometimes that "ground" thing you seem to be talking about isn't flat or smooth enough to properly work as a bed :p

Nov 11, 2014
thame
There's a guy on youtube who hangs with just one tree, well worth a look as he just uses one line out straight and one pole. The pole leans all over the place but never falls. Looks funny but it works :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE