Tree Identification Series

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4605

I've kicked off a new feature on my website - a (hopefully) regular tree identification series.

The idea behind it is that it is easier to tackle things in small chunks, and you learn quicker by doing. With this in mind I'm going to start by identifying each of the trees in my (admittedly large) garden in turn, then move further afield. After I've identified them, I'll research them and do a write up on my site.

I'm doing this for two reasons - firstly to improve my poor tree identification skills and secondly I'm going to be teaching my Scouts about a new tree each week to improve their skills, so this is my 'homework'. It's not meant to be a complete or perfect reference, more of an exercise for my own (and my Scouts) benefit.

First up is the Silver Birch: http://schwuk.com/articles/2007/1/9/tree-identification-silver-birch

Please have a look and let me know what you think or if I've made any mistakes.

T

TimB

Good write up with some usefull info!

My Identification skills are pretty lacking, so I'll definatly be checking back in due course!

Cheers

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That gets my vote Schwuk :)

I'm quite good at spotting lime trees at the moment, and plane
trees (living in London). Everything else - probably not a clue
until its leaves come back!

Good luck with your tree quest.

D

Deleted member 4605

Thanks for the kind words!

I'll update this thread as and when I add to the series.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Keep it up! My identification knowledge has come on in leaps and bounds and is only spurred by a natural interest.

What I always do, is when in the car, try to identify as much trees as you pass by. Ok, you might not distinguish between English and Sessile oak, but it's great practice for familiarizing yourself with the characteristic shapes of trees.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats an excellant write up. You have included things like the shape the buds form on the twig, which though is not that important for silver birch is a really important feature to look for generally. What I getting at it is, that type of thorough infomation helps look at a tree in the right way, and means you can increase your knowledge really quickly. Ray Mears covered what I am going on about in his last program, when he ask the old woman what she looked for in paticular tree.
Trees are one of those things, I dont think I am very good at ID ing them either esspecially this time of year. Alder type shrubs are my worst. I look forward to what else you come up with.

Reactions: Deleted member 4605

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will defo be following the series good work mate, i need to improve my id skills
leon

D

Deleted member 4605

xylaria said:
What I getting at it is, that type of thorough infomation helps look at a tree in the right way, and means you can increase your knowledge really quickly.

Then I'm getting it right! I deliberately chose an easy-to-identify tree and went overboard on the details so that I could practice my research so that when I hit a not-so-easy tree I'll be better prepared.

B

bushyboo

Great thread schwuk
i will be following it closely could do with learning more trees.

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
schwuk said:
I've kicked off a new feature on my website - a (hopefully) regular tree identification series.

The idea behind it is that it is easier to tackle things in small chunks, and you learn quicker by doing. With this in mind I'm going to start by identifying each of the trees in my (admittedly large) garden in turn, then move further afield. After I've identified them, I'll research them and do a write up on my site.

I'm doing this for two reasons - firstly to improve my poor tree identification skills and secondly I'm going to be teaching my Scouts about a new tree each week to improve their skills, so this is my 'homework'. It's not meant to be a complete or perfect reference, more of an exercise for my own (and my Scouts) benefit.

First up is the Silver Birch: http://schwuk.com/articles/2007/1/9/tree-identification-silver-birch

Please have a look and let me know what you think or if I've made any mistakes.

I have done a public pack for the trees on my site in work, you've got a huge task ahead, could I help a little, by providing some info on the more common british trees in laymans terms(written for 8yrs+). If you want PM me and I will mail you one or two :27: . Each tree has info on uses, folklore, leaf shape bark, flowers etc.

Feel free to refuse as the journey is as important as the info. on this one I think, don't want to pee on your campfire.
Good luck

Reactions: Deleted member 4605
D

Deleted member 4605

Pipistrelle said:
Feel free to refuse as the journey is as important as the info. on this one I think, don't want to pee on your campfire.

Thank your for the offer, but you are quite right - the journey is more important to me for this one. However I will make a note of your username and PM you if I get stuck on anything!

D

Deleted member 4605

loz. said:
Are there references to dosages of Vitamin C per cup of pine needle tea ? google came up short for me !

I wasn't able to find any. I'm guessing it is highly dependent on the amount of needles, time of year, stewing time etc. and so very difficult to quantify.

loz. said:
ps - typo - heigh levels

Fixed. :)

I've also added a link to the excerpt "Did You Ever Eat A Pine Tree?".

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I might need a "pine disambiguation" page especially for me cos I can't really
tell the difference between Scots pines and other pines at the moment* :)

The pictures were nice, but Flickr wouldn't let me see them enlarged although
that could be a fault my end.

Good stuff though!

*confidently predicting a time at some point in the future when I will, of course.

D

Deleted member 4605

I've finally gotten around to posting the third in my series. Beech...everyone, everyone...Beech.

Comments/feedback welcome as usual.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE