Tree identification book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Well most of you are probably up on your tree identification but i am embarrassed to say that i am not. I wouldn't know ash from hazel and unfortunately i fear that i am not in the minority when i comes to the general population.

All my nicknacks and pieces of expensive kit are looking great on my bedroom floor and realy give the place a log cabbin look. :lmao: Untill i get a chance to use them properly i thought it would be a good idea to get to grips with my tree identification so i won't be so embarrasingly green if i ever get to a meet :D , along with actually wanting to know what's what!.

I spent several hours scouring bookshops and the library and there are certainly loads of books on trees. The problem i found though was that you needed to know what the tree was in the first place to look it up, Untill.....
I stumbled upon an old book in the library called "The field guide to trees and shrubs of britain" by the readers digest ( nature lovers library ) .
This book is awesome if like me you need some reference point in order to start your identification process. It lists trees firstly by leaf shapes with examples ie..brad, heart shaped , long etc. It also lists by bark differences and small fruits. It even lists by seed shapes, flowers, twigs and buds. So, all you have to do is find the table for the piece of tree you recognise whether it is a heart shaped leaf or small black fruit and the book helps you narrow your search to only a few possibles.

I got the ISBN number off the back and went along to Otakers book shop and they had it in stock for 12 quid! ......SOLD! to me :D .
The ISBN number is unique to the book and will help the seller find it on their system, the one for this book is ISBN 0-276-42507-3
Just thought i would reccomend it if like me you are shall we say "lacking" in your tree identification. :)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Thanx Bilko, you've just provided me with my next book. I'm sorry to say that i too struggle with whats what in the world of trees :eek:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I got a nice little book "Native British Trees" with some hand drawings and snippets of info. It's small, but a good starter book.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
The mini collins books are real gems when it comes to identification. They do a tree one. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE