Tree ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I came across this tree yesterday, I think it's a type of chestnut but not sure?
Does anyone know what it is and is it edible?

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_161703.jpg
    IMG_20200905_161703.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 33

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
chestnut, yes. american chestnut ... possibly

got any more pictures of the whole tree? if it is just a young tree, from the pic, it could be any of them ... sweet, chinese etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It does look like sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) - the leaves are a bit long but they do vary quite a bit. Unfortunately, the fruits rarely grow to a size worth harvesting in the UK although I have spent days gathering them and preparing them in the past (when I lived down south).

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It does look like sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) - the leaves are a bit long but they do vary quite a bit. Unfortunately, the fruits rarely grow to a size worth harvesting in the UK although I have spent days gathering them and preparing them in the past (when I lived down south).

Edible then?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks

Is this why I never see any decent size nuts from them? All I have harvested are anaemic almost flat nuts from them. I take it they need warmer/brighter climate

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The crop from mature trees is very much worth foraging. My favorite local place is Eastham Woods on the Wirral so not just a southern thing.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The crop from mature trees is very much worth foraging. My favorite local place is Eastham Woods on the Wirral so not just a southern thing.

Coincidently, I found a row of mature sweet chestnuts in an old part of a forest a few miles from us here in Mid Wales only last week - the fruits were far from ripe though and didn't look like they would be much bigger than Beech nuts when they are :(

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If it is the chesnuts are seriously spikey, far more so than Horse Chesnuts.

Sweet chesnuts have leaves in singles but horse chesnuts have than in a bunch like a gekkos hand with fat finger ends.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE