tree climbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Fred had more gutts than me. Modern tree work is a doddle compared to all that ladder work and not attached!!
Rearly enjoyed his programmes.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I used to have a similar 'Camp' to the one RAPPLEBY200 is describing. When I first saw it I was impressed by its form and design. It was in a piece of woodland that we offer for chainsaw training and eventually fell down of its own accord. (I think it was standing for at least eight years) What we were left with were the nails, hammered into the surrounding trees, that it had been made with. These have proved most difficult to remove.
I used to inspect the 'camp' occasionally just to see the detritus that was left on the floor and judge by this what was going on inside. Luckily there were never any drug issues, although the local Police were informed. We came to the conclusion that to leave for now was the best line as the builders were probably only 15 or so.

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
People expect to be free to use the countryside as a playground as a right - especially post CRoW Act. They often have little or no understanding of the issues around rural land use, commercial interests or the needs and rights of other user groups. Education is lacking, even in small rural communities where children have essentially urban parents and an urban culture beamed at them 24/7.

(In a former life) I used to act for people suing for injury compensation. The Law is clear, if I allow someone to set up a camp or platform or whatever on my land I am responsible not necessarily for them whilst using it, but definitely for any child/idiot/townie who might wander onto my land and use it, or even injure themselves trying to take it down... I would have to fence off the area so that a child/idiot etc. could not get to it.

Even if I turn a blind eye to it going on without my permission OR am unaware of it, I am still responsible for anyone using it, if I should, acting as a reasonable landowner, have been aware of it and were it reasonably foreseeable that some child/numpty might have injured themselves.

In a more recent/decent life I had to go around cutting down swings, dens etc. Kids with dens almost always have fires and used to regularly set fire to woods and heaths I managed. Public would call me a killjoy and spoilsport when I was out doing it. But the same people would happily sue me/the landowner if their little darlings fell off/down/over/burnt to death...

Sadly, we do not live in the world I grew up in. We live in a world of liability, insurance and rights.

Ooooh I feel better for that rant! Best get my 20-month-old off the worktop/toaster! (again)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
It's 1346 hrs and I'm expecting our new local Policeman in my office in a few minutes for a 1400 hrs appointment to discuss various rural issues. The conversation will, I'm certain, be varied, wide AND positive!

We also have several sightings a 'naked gentleman' in 'the woods'. That too has to be looked into as we're not sure how far this will go!:eek:

Maybe bringing back wild Boar will help that one!:D

Swyn.

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
Hope it went well, Sussex Police proved to be all mouth and no trousers at every opportunity. Once had to force them to attend even when had motorbikes trashing a protected site and bikers' van blocked into car park with my pickup. (Back to being a killjoy)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Thanks for asking and YES, the meeting went very well. Two policemen in attendance, one being a Sergeant so this was important to them too.

The naked gentleman is a psychological one and possibly frightening. As this gentleman gains confidence the risk of actual physical attack on some person rises, and being male that is usually a lady.
Worrying!

We talked of cabbages and kings, sealing wax and string.
My re assurance was that being a close knit community information would get back quickly as this type of behavior is not tolerated.

I must apologise to folks for the slight hi-jack of this thread! Sorry.

Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE