Treating a Wenge wood benchtop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The kitchen fitters have just been to where I work and in the poshest house on the site have fitted a wenge worktop.
On seeing the size of the sink cutout it occured to me that it must be about the same size as the top of my rolling toolchest and would make a hell of a benchtop as I had seen some maple toolchest tops in the Snap On catalogue recently.

Asked them where "the bit from the hole" was only to be told it was getting thrown out and was in the dumper.
Ratched it out and it's 700 x 500 x 40mm (about 20" x 27 1/2" x 1 1/2" in old money) so just needs to be trimmed slightly to make a perfect toolchest top and I can fit a vice to it also.

I know its a bit extravagant to have a hugely expensive bit of wood in my shed on what amounts to the bottom seven drawer section of this tool chest below but I will have owt for nowt
070110170.jpg

If I were buying something to make a worktop I wouldn't be using something listed as being endangered but if its already cut and about to end up on the site fire I won't let it go to waste either.

Anyway, my question is... What is the best stuff to treat this wood with bearing in mind it already feels slightly oily anyway?
Danish oil?
Although a carpenter, I never really treat woods cos thats someone else's job so could do with a few hints.

I understand that whilst I cut it its worth wearing a mask and goggles as the dust doesn't sound the nicest stuff to have suspended in the air and getting into my lungs or eyes.
I assume its already treated on the main surfaces but I wouldn't mind treating the cut edges also.

Thanks in advance, Scott.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE