Trapping legal or not ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
It looks like i will have the chance to get away for a week in november . One of the things i would like to do is catch some food to fill my belly . I know that snares are illegal to use in the UK , but are traps like the deadffall ? What other styles of trap can i legaly use ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I dont know how the laws are in UK but what I picked up from other Threads here on the forum you are allowed to snare if you get permission from the landowner and only for some kind of game. But how it is exactly someone with UK experience has to help you.

cheers
Abbe

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It is OK to snare so long as:
-You have the landowner's permission
-You use non locking snares
-You don't use any sort of spring mech.

It's also advisable, but not a requirement, to be taught how to set a snare correctly. If it's done well, the rabbit will break it's neck and be killed instantly.

Cheers

Mark

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
As far as I understand you're also required to check snares at least once a day.

Make sure there are no cats living in the area you set the snares in, you really wouldn't want to end up snaring someone's pet.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I think the others have almost covered it, but basically you need to use non-locking snares, with the permission of the landowner, making sure that you set your snares in an area where you are as certain as you can be that you are not going to be in any danger of snaring cats, dogs, and/or livestock. Don't forget, a snare does not only catch things around the neck. A snare set in the wrong place can do horrendous damage to a sheeps foot before you return to check it. (Which should be once a day MINIMUM, preferably once every 12 hours)
There are traps which are legal to use in the UK. These have to be of an approved design (it used to be MAFF that overlorded this but I suppose it might be the EA these days?) and are only legal if set under cover. This means you need to use a trap like the Fenn Trap and set it only in a tunnel or a burrow. Traps set above ground are a hazard not only to livestock, pedestrians and pets, but are illegal as they can be set to capture protected species such as birds of prey.
It is also illegal to set snares to catch any species of deer in the UK.

As for methods of snaring, the best I can desribe without the aid of diagrams is this....
Set your snare in between the pads on the ground where the rabbit run shows the rabbits are putting their feet down as they hop. This will help to ensure that you snare your rabbit "mid hop", making for a more certain capture.
Tether the snare FIRMLY to a stake driven into the ground off to one side of the run (This is what the cord on the snare is for) This stake wants to be at least a foot long and an inch in diameter. In softer ground, make it bigger, you would be amazed at how strongly a snared rabbit can pull. The snare needs to set above ground level by being trapped in a split in the top of a small twig. Trap the wire BEHIND the main oval loop, next to the loop that joins to the cord in this twig and have the bottom of the main loop about as far from the ground as the width of your hand across the base of your fingers (3 1/2 to 4").

You can often improve your chances of getting a rabbit or two by setting your snares within 10 feet of a fencline where the warren is one side and the field they feed on is the other side. Set your snares on the field side of the fence in the more heavily used runs then go back to camp. Last thing before bed that night, walk across the middle of the field with a torch on and make a bit of noise. The rabbits that are out in the field will bolt for home, and are more likely to become ensnared in their hurry to get there than they would be whilst more cautiously coming out to feed. A quick check along the line of snares as you return to camp will often result in a rabbit or two. Snares can be reset for first thing the next day, or lifted now if you have enough meat for the pot already.

If you return to your snares and find that one or two of them have been successful, but all you are left with is the head of the rabbit, it simply means that your technique is fine, but that Charlie fox beat you to your dinner!

Good hunting!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The only spring traps that are legal in the UK are listed in law along with the prey species they can be used for. Setting a trap anywhere that you could catch a non target species is illegal in the UK so you really need to know your stuff.

I'll be covering alot of this in the up and comming FAQ which hopefully will be up next month.

:D
Ed

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
there are some traps that are legal in the the uk, these are traps that contain tha animal without harming it, but they must be checked regular so that the animal does not get stressed.
I have used tunnel traps, where a tunnel is set in a wall or hedge where rabbits etc are known to run, these have slanting doors which are left in the up position until the rabbit uses the tunnel as a run, the trap is now set and the rabbit can push the door up to get in but cant get out. I've also used box traps which are basically a rabbit hole that can be blocked off with a false roof.
the problem is that these type of traps are highly labour intensive and a long term thing,you make them them now with the hope of catching your meal in a few months time :confused:
there are two good books I'd recomend: survival poaching by Ragnor Benson and Animal Traps & trapping also you should contact the shooting associations like BASC, Countryside Alliance or the National Gamekeepers who have guidlines for trapping and can advise on the law

Good Hunting :AR15firin

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
there are some traps that are legal in the the uk, these are traps that contain tha animal without harming it,
There are also some that will kill instanly and are very efficient. Do a google search on fenn traps and bmi magnum traps. The advantage of trapping over snaring is that you can bait a trap with food to attract your prey rather than relying and hoping that something will run through your snare.... the down side of course is the weight.... and the fact that the spring traps should be placed in tunnel (so you have to carry them aswell) as to not catch a non target species.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE