Transit Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Did you have problems with it?

No not really, after adapting the needle and greasing up the contact point it's okay to use when stationary, but walking with it (following a bearing) it's not really good. It skips and jumps too much. A bit too sensitive, at least compared to the marching compasses. I haven't ruled it out completely yet though. Might wanna do some more field testing. I really like the weight and heft it has, also like the feeling of quality. Considering selling it and buying the dampened version. Those $20 in shipping seems okay now.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
As I mentioned somewhere, I don't think its really suited to marching or orienteering.

I tend to use it to note a point on my bearing line and walk that way.

I would be interested in how much better the damped version is but I think I would still use it the same way.

I mainly go through pretty thick flat forest areas with the odd marsh land and lake, very few landmarks usually. I have to rely on micronavigation and compass bearings, since it's usually a case of dodging trees every other step. For me at least I check bearing every other twenty meters, or if it's something critical, and I'm not alone, I have a point man I correct every now and then. With the 'tlansit' (chinglish/engrish for transit) I would have to grind to a complete halt more or less. But as you already concluded, before I bought the compass, it's not optimal for walking. I too will use it, and I thoroughly enjoy owning one. :rolleyes: I also intend to use it for some caving, good for mapping out caves with the inclinometer.

Wayland, btw, have you thought of making some kind of adapter to use it with a tripod? I sometimes use a tripod for landscape photography and it would be fun to play surveyor or prospector. The tlansit lacks the grooves that allows the transit to attach to a tripod adapter. I thought of using a clamp from bogen or just epoxy glueing a 1/4" nut to some clamp.

(Don't interpret the first paragraph as my areas being hard to navigate, they really aren't, if you know how to read a map, you seldom even need a compass, I just like navigating for the navigations own sake, it's a nice sensation being dead on)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
My tripod has too many ferrous parts to us unfortunately otherwise it would have been a good idea.

Brunton sell a completely non magnetic one for the job with theirs.

I suspect that would be the case with my benbo too then. Hmm, I thought it was just the spikes and the screw that would made of steel, and since it's cheap stainless I suspected it to be quite safe, will have to check that out. Might try and make a DIY wooden tripod then. Or somehow make a fugly adaption of an old painters easel I have lying about somewhere.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Mine finally arrived today ordered on the 19th auguet arrived 29 October - 9 weeks waiting for new stock
The glass ring is quite loose and it drops out easily losing the needle and the lock arm and bearing. The needle won't balance no matter where i put the balance wire.

Needless to say im a little dissapointed but i shall tinker for a while to see if i can sort it out

cheers
Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
finally figured out why the needle wouldnt balance - there was an electric screwdriver in the drawer directly below it now it works fine - and now i moved it away from the telly its very accurate.
the o ring securing the glass is not particularly tight but it seems to do the job.
Having got it set up i quite like it - taking inclination readings is something of a fine art watching the bubble in the mirror whilst keeping it on target - so innaccuracy is more a feature of poor operating than poor equipment but i am not uncomfortable with that - when the kit is smarter that i am it means that its not time to look for an upgrade.
As a basic transit compass for taking bearings in the field its great - i tend to sight it in and depress the small locking pin to fix the needle and them read the angle with the needle locked.
The needle settles reasonably quickly and extending both the front and back sights gives a nice long sight radius which gives a lot of confidence that the bearing is accurate, the sight radius is more than 3 times that of a good old army marching prismatic compass and i like that.
Near as i can tell the bubbles are spot on - certainly good enough for feild measurement.
I might wish for some form of tripod fixing for more accurate angle measurements and i am trying to think up something - any ideas anybody?
Nevertheless i am pleased with it for the money an would certainly reccommend it as a good aquisition

Cheers
Nick

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
very nice compass, indeed!

after going through a pile of compasses over the years; some freezing, or being damaged,or falling apart; i decided to spend more cash this time.:)
i think ive spent more money over the years replacing compasses than what my new one cost.
i just got my new Cammenga Tritium version, last week! :D
apparently they are issued to the US military.
Probably the best compass i have ever owned.
PROS: durable, no water filling, folding, tritium, very fast!
CONS: a bit bulky, price.

cammenga3H.jpg

http://store.cammenga.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=47

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
very nice compass, indeed!

after going through a pile of compasses over the years; some freezing, or being damaged,or falling apart; i decided to spend more cash this time.:)
i think ive spent more money over the years replacing compasses than what my new one cost.
i just got my new Cammenga Tritium version, last week! :D
apparently they are issued to the US military.
Probably the best compass i have ever owned.
PROS: durable, no water filling, folding, tritium, very fast!
CONS: a bit bulky, price.

cammenga3H.jpg

http://store.cammenga.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=47
I can see from the Net that you're not a spammer, but your post especally as it is your first on this board comes across as a bit spammy. but anyway welcome to the board.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think that is a bit unfair, it was on topic and didn't include a single pharmacy link. ;)

welcome1.gif
Welcome aboard.

The Cammenga is reputed to be a good tool, I've only ever handled copies so I'm not best placed to comment. But they seem OK.

The US military issue two compass' the Cammenga and the Brunton Transit which is specifically for fire control from what I gather.

I guess it's like the Brit. army using baseplates for general purpose and Prismatics for precision work.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I can see from the Net that you're not a spammer, but your post especally as it is your first on this board comes across as a bit spammy. but anyway welcome to the board.

i am usually a man of few words, and tend to lurk online and absorb the knowledge this, and other forums provide. i try to help out others when i can, but i rarely comment, mostly due to a few rude or unruly individuals,... just testing the waters... ;)
mac

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Wayland
I was impressed with this compass when re-reading this thread at christmas and ordered one which came today. The adjustment of the needle was easier than I thought. I agree with you that the compass is good value for money and that a magnifying glass is required too! As yet I can't locate your later thread with the hand made case so I'm off to your web site to see if it was there I saw it. Thanks for the review.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I was sure you had! Anyway enjoyed your website again - found a few new things. I especially like the saami needle case. I hivered and hovered about buying one in Norway a little while ago and in the end didn't, which I have regretted ever since.
regards Alan

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I got mine from another member here this week and overall I like it, its solid and seems accurate.
It was in perfect condition (as described) and the flat screwdriver fits the declination slotted screw with no modifications needed.
No problems whatsoever with the transaction with tobes01 and as far as I'm concerned he's very good to deal with.

I do have a bit of a problem with the needle hunting though.

Well, actually while I wait for it to settle down it hunts, gathers, sets up camp, carves a bleeding spoon, makes a basket and digs a latrine.
Its good but its not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

Still, I like weird and wonderful instruments and the price I paid was perfectly fair.

I'll have more time with it before too long and will give comments as I think of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE