Trangia Swedish Army Mess Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Aluminium (or aluminum for our friends across the pond) forms a hard oxide layer on any surface exposed to air very quickly and this layer is not soluble in water. As long as you ease off on the metal tools and don't wire wool the pots each time the levels on Al in the water are likley to be very, very low indeed.

Also, remember that aluminium chloride is added to mains water in some areas to give it that crystal clear look! Acidic soda drinks are also sold in Al cans.

There are far worse things that I worry about!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I use a swedish army mess kit! :wink: It's very good and cheap! (bought mine from army surplus for 90 dk crowns, which is about 8-9 £...) Goes very fast with boiling... :icon_idea The top part has many uses! It can be placed in the burner if you only have to boil few dl. of water and is very useful as a lid when boiling in the big one. :wink: If you're 2, one can eat from the lid and the other from the pot itself.
:bye:

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
I saw and fiddled around with swedish army mess kits at my "local" surplus, and found them awfull. They were just the mess kits, no stove with them, but I just didn't like the design of the actual mess kit. It was a pain to open, had a strange coating, the edges weren't "rolled up" (they were sharp), the hook was a pain, the handle didn't lock, the handle of the "frying pan" (the lid) was really strange...too many useless details on it. I prefer the Swiss and German army mess kits (they're both just about the same, but the German one has a third little bowl) or the SIGG version (same as the Swiss one, just in black and for scouts). But then they don't come with a stove. The German one is normally used with an Esbit stove though.

I was intending getting the Swedish Army Trangia, but now I've seen the mess kits I'll just buy a trangia stove and do a home made stand/windshield for my German mess kit.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Douglas said:
I saw and fiddled around with swedish army mess kits at my "local" surplus, and found them awfull. They were just the mess kits, no stove with them, but I just didn't like the design of the actual mess kit. It was a pain to open, had a strange coating, the edges weren't "rolled up" (they were sharp), the hook was a pain, the handle didn't lock, the handle of the "frying pan" (the lid) was really strange...too many useless details on it. I prefer the Swiss and German army mess kits (they're both just about the same, but the German one has a third little bowl) or the SIGG version (same as the Swiss one, just in black and for scouts). But then they don't come with a stove. The German one is normally used with an Esbit stove though.

I was intending getting the Swedish Army Trangia, but now I've seen the mess kits I'll just buy a trangia stove and do a home made stand/windshield for my German mess kit.

There is nothing wrong with the mess kit, you have to learn to handle it correctly. Once you have learned to use them you can have use year around for the rest of your life.

Viking - Master instructor in handling the swedish army mess kit :wink:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Make sure you are talking about the same thing ,i saw some "Swedish " mess tins at the Northern Ireland game fair that look similar to the army trangia but on closer inspection they are not the same.
The army stove is really great and for the money can't be bettered.
Cheers
RB

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gary said:
Trick with triangia's is to light it and get the water on then set up camp while it boils - once your Basha's up and your ready for a brew the water will be boiled! :-D And you can smuggly sit back and enjoy while your mates pump up their stoves and mess around.

I have to eat my words a little here. I was always put off the alcohol stoves mainly from a percieved poor perfvormance. I just recently bought a trangia 27 for the sole purpose of rtetro-fitting it with my optimus nova burner. But having played with the meths burner, I have to confess I'm seriously impressed.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
So you should be Martyn - I can honestly say they are fantastic pieces of kit.

Of course not to every ones taste as douglas has proved - but then hey I dont like the trade marked name knife - I much prefer a cheaper more practical blade like the Mora.

But to my mind, and in my experience, like the Mora knife the mess kit is perfect for 'the craft'.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Try using a firesteel to light them,works much better than a match or a lighter especially in bad weather.
Trangia stove makes life bearable when rock fishing at night in winter.

fishing_dec03_044crop_1.jpg

Work well in a boat on fresh and salt water!

364_6496_1.jpg

364_6467_1.jpg

And just as good in the forest.

376_7682crop_1.jpg

Posted these over on BB but can't help myself ,they bring back great memories.
Would like to show some pic's of my army trangia but a low life thief stole mine (what a naughtyboy).

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
After Martyn's amazing trick of turning a mess set into a something NASA would be proud of I decided to take a step in the opposite direction. :super:

No blown torches or screw drivers needed - nor even the Trangia stove or fuel. :uu:

Nope, K.I.S.S being the mumble of the day I stuck a greenheat sachet under the Windshield (in the hole at the bottom) lighted it and five minutes later had a nice cup of tea. Yep, revolutionary! :rolmao:

One greenheat sachet will heat up (to just under boiling point) a cup (mess kit lid) of water while two will bring it to a rolling boil and more.

Most impressive of all you can carry dozens of sachets in the pot, they dont pong like meth's, they are eco friendly and they can also be used as tinder for fire lighting.

Tried hexi too and these work just as well although with Hexi you do get that 'orrible chemical guooo on the bottom of your pots.

Dont throw away your Trangia's yet though as I think they will still be superior when Jack frost comes calling - but thats a test for another day! :chill:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Me too the Viking. In fact now I dont need the stove of fuel bottle I carry,

1 x cotton rag/bandana as a tea towel.
Minimum of 10 sachets of fuel.
Brew kit for two days.
Soup
Beef jerky
Spoon and GI can open
salt, pepper, chilli powder, curry powder and tabasco sauce
1 x Swedish army folding cup
Matches and a few spare brinks of wet fire tinder for good measure.

Not a bad little set up.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
396_9647_1.jpg

Is this the "greenheat" that people are talking about on here?
They had it in little 35ml sachets as well but a lot more expensive. (£1.oo for 10 sachets or £1.00 for a 1 litre bottle)
I was thinking about just filling an airgun pellet tin ,does this stuff evaporate quickly or would i need something more airtight?
How long does a sachet burn for and how does it compare to meths for heat.
I remember using a disposable army issue stove years ago that used gel.
Cheers
RB

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
greenheat.bmp

These are the sachets - each burns around 20 mins and they now come in boxes of 12. Each sachet will boil up a mug of water - I have used them now on both the swedish mess set and my trusty old US army cup and stand and they worked well on both.

Well I like em anyway!!

The air pellet tin is a good one, althought if you have that bottle you could just as easily squirt a laod onto a slab or birch bark or even a shallow hole in the grounds and stick the wind shiyld over that.

I just find the sachets more convenient as they burn away to nothing, no mess and no leaks.

ok these are the Aussie version!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
was just in a camping shop and have a bit of a wierd question. Is it pronounced tran-Gee-a or tran-Jee-a?

They were also selling a trangia pot grabber, but I picked it up and noticed immediately, that it was made of steel. I asked the guy why and he started to try and blag me something about duoSSAL. I said, regardless of what your pot is made from, why make the grabber out of much heavier steel - it makes no sense?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks guys, I actually have the duoSSAL 27 set. The guy said the reason the handle was steel was that it was meant to match the duoSSAL's - which is BS 'cos mine came with an aluminium handle. Anyway, I can think of no reason whatsoever why they would make a steel handle. That and the guy in the shop referred to them as tran-Jee-a's. Dont you just hate "gear" salesmen who live to impress you with thier "insider" knowledge? The whole experience was a little irritating.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Was the handle genuine Trangia ?
Perhaps it was for the Trangia Billy can? ,are they made from alu or steel?
Anyone use them (the ones that the complete cooker fits inside).

Just tried the greenheat stuff.
A little slower than meths but no fumes.
Pretty good fuel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE