Trangia Swedish Army Mess Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
I've asked for one for Christmas. Anybody use/rate them?

I've seen them on eBay for £7.95 and on other sites for around ten quid. They seem like a good buy.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Thet are just great, have used them both in the army and as an civilian. You can pack in your mug, spoon and burner in the mess kit.

There are two versions of the mess kit one in stainless steel and one in aliminium.

A picture of a complete kit

s_enmanskok.jpg

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Excellent piece of kit.
Have a good hunt around on the internet as you can pick these up new/unissued ...I've seen some that are realy battered... still work fine though. These things will last you years.

Ed

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
great bits of kit. i've even seen a stainless version, :cool: i've no idea where to find one though :-(

cheers, and.

T

theknight

Try woodman Jack at www.woodlandorganics.com they do them for about a tenner and having looked around this site, those chaps seem to come highly recommended, or have a look at a Calor Gaz stove, compact and efficent.

TK

T

Tricky

New to this forum so big hello to awbdy ,after being an lurker in a few forums i think its about time i started participating so here goes my first posting

Crackin bit o kit , i got mine from surplusandadventure.com for about £5 plus postage , it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get a pint of water to a rolling boil ( depends on how much meths the burner has in it it seems (if the well in the middle is too full then it does not work as well it seems to me) you also get a 300ml storage bottle for extra meths

plenty room left over for your brew kit , heres what i keep in my trangia when its all packed up.

burner , meths bottle
3 instant tea's and sugar
1 beefburger and beans meal
1 hot chocolate
1 cream of chicken instant soup
1 orange powder
2 vegetable stock
(all foodstuff is out of british forces ration packs)
tinder and an esbit block ( nothing to do with cooking on my trangia but i like to keeps additional bits and bobs in varios parts of my kit in case of redundancy)
KFS
strike anywhere matches , storm matches and a disposable lighter (the bic type with the removable flint/striker fella)

all in all a cheap compact unit that does the job (and when your budget is as tight as mine the cheaper the better :-D )

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I think there must be two sizes of stoves. The large one I think is military. There's a smaller version though that is sold in backpacking stores. I have used the small trangia a lot and I've compared it to all kinds of other alcohol stoves and I still think it's the best. Certainly the most rugged. The larger one I keep in the trunk of my car for emergencies but the smaller one I have taken backpacking many times. IMO, the key to effectiveness is in having a good windscreen. I make my own usually out of aluminum material that they sell in rolls and use for flashing on roofs. I punch holes along the base using a paper hole punch, curl it in a circle, and hold it together using a paper clip.

esbit5.jpg

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i have a hoodoo inspired home-made trangia set. a good old pepsi can stove for the meths burner, a simple pot stand made from the grill of a disposable barbeque, and a windshield similar to the one above made from the tray of a disposable bar-be' just crease and fold the edges. it all nests nicely inside a titanium mug. to burn hexy blocks, just turn the pepsi burner upside down.

much cheaper and much lighter than a trangia. well apart from the mug.

cheers, and.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Interesting! I didn't realize there were three sizes. I like the windscreen on that bottom one. Actually the cookset that came with mine is neither of the two above. I have the minitrangia and the stove holder is an arrangement of three flat aluminum plates that can be locked into an upright triangle that holds the stove and serves as a potholder. I like this arrangement so much I made my own for holding homemade alcohol stoves.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I've had my model 25 for about 10 years and the bloke that gave it to me had it about the same time, I dont use it that much now as I have an MSR Whisperlite 600, which boils a pint in about 3 mins. The Trangia is very good though, mine came with a small kettle as well which is very handy, the whole set up is good if I'm out with a couple of other people, it's a bit big if I'm alone, but very sturdy and practical.

Brian

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Not a great stove fan myself, I've got a Primus thing that fold out of a square box/case, a peakone multifuel, a whisperlight but am back to using the trusty old camping gaz that i had as a kid. The others are all too much hassle, and flare up alarmingly! The camping gaz gets used for weekends and has saved our bacon on cold winter hikes, when we've been frozen,weak and fumbling its delivered hot drinks in minutes.
My overall preferance has to be the kelly kettle, hot drink then cook on the embers in the base. I see Jack has got a grill n stuff to go with them so they'll be on my xmas list. Along with the Volcano flask that works on the same principle but has a trangia style meths burner. If it works aswell as the kelly and can fit in my pack i'll be well chuffed. Could also be a lifesaver!
Trangias on the whole are a great design, pack up well and i love that little kettle, its just they take so damned long to boil a cuppa, let alone cook supper (if they don't run out of meths).
So if you're a very patient person with a strong back,
the vertually indestructable Swedish army kit is the simplest most reliable and reasonably priced cooker on the market.
Enjoy your coffee..... eventually
Rich :lol:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've taken to cooking over a fire with army mess tins. i sometimes use cotton woll soaked in meths. but as for stoves i have a coleman sports stove, not light but is fast at cooking

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I bought mine at a motorcycle rally for £4 last year. Absolute bargain. came with all the bits, although someone said these were all originally in a leather case...Now it would be good to get hold of one of those, as I keep my kit together with a bungee at the moment :) b The only Mod I've made is to bin the large hook off the billy handle as it was a bit of a pain, I can carve a hook out of a twig if I need one :cool:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
One thing to bear in mind here is that these kits are Aluminium and as such aluminium cookware has been like with Altziemers disease - curiously enough the mess kit does seem to be flooding the market at the moment and Im wondering why the Swedish are binning them and what is the replacement kit like?

Any one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE