trangia Small Rectangular Mess tins

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Anybody got experience of cooking over an open fire with the trangia Small Rectangular Mess tins.

Attempting to find a pan that I can carry in a smock pocket instead of carrying a bags. Usually just go to the woods with what I need in my pockets only.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not used one myself but groped them in shops thinking about getting one. Seamed a bit thin . Still they are cheap at the moment. £6.69 on the second page here.

http://www.trangiastove.co.uk/store.php

Have you considered the BCB Crusader mess tin? its dearer and bigger but is stainless steel . The one in front of me is 7 x 5 x 2.25 inches and can be rigged for suspension by adding a few inches of light chain and a couple of hooks.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, could be. Fits nicely in a combat jackets (95 pat) chest pockets vertically and side ways just over half fills the skirt pockets. The suspension parts the big seller for me. Still, may treat myself to one of those diddy trangia jobs while they are cheap.

ATB

Tom

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yup, could be. Fits nicely in a combat jackets (95 pat) chest pockets vertically and side ways just over half fills the skirt pockets. The suspension parts the big seller for me. Still, may treat myself to one of those diddy trangia jobs while they are cheap.

ATB

Tom

So the Crusader mess kit fits the chest pockets (and Not to uncomfortable) ? Then that could be my problem solved.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I wear one that's big enough for my lardy frame and usually have it in the lower pockets except when it's cold and I want to bimble along with my hands in my pockets, but it seems to fit fine. Empty with a bit of chain it weighs just shy of 13oz. Without the lid just over 8oz which is quiet a saving.

Incidentally I have no connection with BCB, just really like this product.

Atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's a pic of the jacket with the tin in the top pocket, plenty of space.

image_zps5d2c773c.jpg

If its upside down, blame this damn iPad!

ATB

Tom

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Great now on my christmas list and Ive been trying to cut down on kit. So will have to find equipment or something I dont use anymore to throw any.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
i use the trangia mess tin, mostly on the esbit mini hex stove, have used on open fire a few times, but the plastic handle wrap got singed

i tend to invert the lid, and use multitool as a lid lifter.

very nice compact size the trangia, esbit fits inside with a couple of folding plastic kuksas and space inside for brew kit, whole thing takes up about half the inside of a response pack.

never saw the appeal of the crusader system myself , trangia is so much neater

Al

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
One lives permanently in my pack. But it mostly gets used to boil water over a coke can or Esbit stove. I'm on my second but only because the first on was stolen. I have used it over open fires. It feels thin, but I've never had a problem. I'm careful not to let it get dry inside though since I melted an aluminium mess tin in a fire. If anything happens to the one I have it will be replaced by a stainless steel crusader mess tin.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's a link to the thread with a pic of the simple modification so you can use it suspended over a fire.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63515

Personally I prefer stainless steel for use over a fire, ok it doesn't spread the heat as well as thick aluminium but it scrubs up more easily and takes a battering better. Also I prefer the Crusader mess tin over the mug, and a platypus over a 58 pattern water bottle.

atb

tom

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have had one for a while. I used it as the basis for a more practical style of survival kit but as with all things of that nature I kind of grew out of the idea and never actually used it.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Here's a link to the thread with a pic of the simple modification so you can use it suspended over a fire.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63515

Personally I prefer stainless steel for use over a fire, ok it doesn't spread the heat as well as thick aluminium but it scrubs up more easily and takes a battering better. Also I prefer the Crusader mess tin over the mug, and a platypus over a 58 pattern water bottle.

atb

tom

Did you use any chain and hooks in particular for the modification.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE