Nostalgic Fray Bentos Pie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 20, 2022
West Cornwall
I seem to remember as a teenager, going on biker rallies, and all of cooking fray bentos pies on a simple stove. Can't remember if we put the tins in boiling water or just heated them direct on the flame. Anyone have a method to cook one of these legendary pies on a camping stove, such as my Trangia? I'm thinking low flame direct to the tin, with the lid open, but covered with the trangia pan?

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Some time ago now, I was having a conversation with a friend about a TV programme from back in the 80s.
Tales Of The Golden Monkey it was called.
I'm sure many of you will remember it.
And, like me, you probably loved it.
I said this to a friend who said that he had a couple of episodes on DVD that I could borrow.
I was so excited I virtually bit his hand off.
Back home, I couldn't get it in the DVD player fast enough - memories of the main character (Jake?) in that sea plane, having adventures around the Pacific. I was so excited.

But as I watched it, I was saddened to realise it was a load of utter bugger-shite.
It really was.

That was a valuable lesson though.
Sometimes, it's better to remember things with fondness rather than re-live them and realise just how wretched they were in the first place.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
You can certainly do the puddings in boiling water, not sure quite how the pies would fair. FWIW - As well as the nostalgic rose tinted glasses noted above, the pies have also changed considerably, and not for the better.

Reactions: Baron Von Scheele

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
No re live a memory, that the worthy bit. Even watching the DVD you got to remember the time, place then and now are so sadly different.

Sent from an avid “ the Professionals 5 series“ watcher

Also bought some of those pies in lock down they not that bad !

• Haha

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Some time ago now, I was having a conversation with a friend about a TV programme from back in the 80s.
Tales Of The Golden Monkey it was called.
I'm sure many of you will remember it.
And, like me, you probably loved it.
I said this to a friend who said that he had a couple of episodes on DVD that I could borrow.
I was so excited I virtually bit his hand off.
Back home, I couldn't get it in the DVD player fast enough - memories of the main character (Jake?) in that sea plane, having adventures around the Pacific. I was so excited.

But as I watched it, I was saddened to realise it was a load of utter bugger-shite.
It really was.

That was a valuable lesson though.
Sometimes, it's better to remember things with fondness rather than re-live them and realise just how wretched they were in the first place.
Wow. I remember that programme. I didn’t know what it was called but enjoyed it back in the day.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For those who would like to try warming up a Fray Bentos steak pie on a trangia stove to see if it lives up to fond memories then the best way would be:

1. put the pie in its dish in one of the trangia pots. Make sure it's propped on a few stones so warm air can circulate and not in contact with the pot bottom to get scorched. Nothing worse than having a scorched bottom.
2. put the pot lid on and put the whole thing over the lit trangia stove.
3. When warmed take a bite and kid yourself it's as wonderful as you used to imagine when a child
4. feed the rest to the local critters lurking in the surrounding undergrowth and hope they find it tastier than you did and you don't have to pack it back home.

Aug 20, 2022
West Cornwall
For those who would like to try warming up a Fray Bentos steak pie on a trangia stove to see if it lives up to fond memories then the best way would be:

1. put the pie in its dish in one of the trangia pots. Make sure it's propped on a few stones so warm air can circulate and not in contact with the pot bottom to get scorched. Nothing worse than having a scorched bottom.
2. put the pot lid on and put the whole thing over the lit trangia stove.
3. When warmed take a bite and kid yourself it's as wonderful as you used to imagine when a child
4. feed the rest to the local critters lurking in the surrounding undergrowth and hope they find it tastier than you did and you don't have to pack it back home.
Come to think of it, I’m not even sure if I enjoyed it 30 years ago.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The meat is already cooked, and just needs reheated, but the pastry topping is just dough, and that needs dry heat to make it rise up and crisp.
Low heat doesn't do that well.

You need to take the lid off entirely to let the pastry rise....that's why it's an 'oven' pie.
However, with care, you can bodge an oven from a bigger pot and lid. Just make sure you rise the bottom of the pie tin off the bottom by resting in on either a layer of clean sand, or a few little stones, and don't jam the lid on tight or it'll just steam the pastry.

Honestly ? if you haven't tried one in a while, I think you might best have a shot of one cooked at home first. They're pretty cheap round here. £1 when I saw them, I bought Himself one. He said it was fine, just smaller than he minded. I'm pretty sure folks used to use one to serve four, but well, I know we didn't eat such big servings, just had more courses, when I was little, but I couldn't see this pie serving four :dunno:

Aug 20, 2022
West Cornwall
The meat is already cooked, and just needs reheated, but the pastry topping is just dough, and that needs dry heat to make it rise up and crisp.
Low heat doesn't do that well.

You need to take the lid off entirely to let the pastry rise....that's why it's an 'oven' pie.
However, with care, you can bodge an oven from a bigger pot and lid. Just make sure you rise the bottom of the pie tin off the bottom by resting in on either a layer of clean sand, or a few little stones, and don't jam the lid on tight or it'll just steam the pastry.

Honestly ? if you haven't tried one in a while, I think you might best have a shot of one cooked at home first. They're pretty cheap round here. £1.49 last I saw them, I bought Himself one. He said it was fine, just smaller than he minded. I'm pretty sure folks used to use one to serve four, but well, I know we didn't eat such big servings, just had more courses, when I was little, but I couldn't see this pie serving four :dunno:
yeah, all i remember was one pie was a meal for one. The only other attraction is that the pie tins look really useful too.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I occasionally have them in the workshop (not for a few years though. Maybe i shall buy one tonight). I stick them into the tempering oven and they come out well, but are much better in the gas forge for extra crispy pastry!

Away from modcons, i have boiled the puddings on fires fine. In some ways i prefer those coz there is no chance of the scorched bottom that Mesquite mentions and the pastry doesn't go everywhere (or catch fire, but that could just be the gas forge!). I did do a pie on an open fire once, bur had an old biscuit tin to hand that acted as an oven.

I agree that they taste ok, if not very exciting. They are also much smaller than in my youth; much like most other things i love(d)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE