Nostalgic Fray Bentos Pie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I bought Himself one. A Fray Bentos chicken curry pie
1666256158809.png

He said it was okay, for a pie that I bought for £1.....it's not that now, I looked last week and it's up to £1.70.

I think 'okay for a pound' kind of summed it up.
A store cupboard thing maybe. They do a lot of different varieties these days, and if the power goes off then meat in tins is still fine, unlike stuff in the freezer if the power cuts really bite.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The strangest food found on the Misty Isles. :D

We only have things like fishcock, Karelian pie and läskisoosi (I don't think that has a translation). :whistling:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We do traditional foods like Cullen Skink, Singed Sheep's Heid, Beef Tongue, Crappit Heid, Sweetbreads, and well, there's always the Haggis :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do a veggie one too. Vegetable Balti, iirc.
I don't eat gluten but Son2 was not impressed. His faither finished it and said it was on a par with the chicken curry.

As an experiment, and a kind of 'blast from the past' for Himself, it was interesting, but I don't think I'd repeat it again. I had bought one of each variety, so there are still two in the pantry, a steak and gravy and a cheese and onion one. They keep well, allegedly.

They're all up to £2 now in Tesco. They cost me one pound less than a year ago :sigh:

M

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
We were talking about these on a Scout camp a few years ago.
Someone was saying how her husband hated them until their sons joined the Army.
That was when she discovered that the sons used to take the top level of puff pastry off the dads pie, leaving home with the sliggly mess .

We got some in the Covid packs, I tried one and then put the rest in a food bank donation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
As a youngster, I remember having a frying pan made from an old fray bentos tin with a wire coat hanger handle. I can't remember how I made it and would like to make another from the tin I now have after the eating/bin experiment. I need to get some value from buying it.!
Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried to Google it, but only came across one item which mentioned a fray bentos tin frying pan being made by her dad, but no instructions, so I know it's possible, and I wasn't dreaming.
Anyone got any ideas? The handle needs to be sturdy to be safe, and I remember mine was , but all the ideas I've come up with so far are not!
I'd like to add this to my recycled and home made cookware .
I could just use a gripper handle, and it does work, but I would like to make it as I once did, 50 years ago.
Besides it's a fun project.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE