Trangia Meths Burner

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
How does the Trangia meths burner actually work because there is alot of metal around where you actually put the meths in and what's with the small holes? The other day I found a bit of string poking out that's attached to something inside there!

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I think you have mis-understood me, I know perfectly well how to use one - I'm just wondering why there is a bit of string attached to something inside the metal surrounding where you pour the alcohol in and why there is so much what seems like unnecassary metal around it. Thanks for telling me about the holes though!

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I think you have mis-understood me, I know perfectly well how to use one - I'm just wondering why there is a bit of string attached to something inside the metal surround where you pour the alcohol in and why there is so much what seems like unnecassary metal around it. Thanks for telling me about the holes though!

oh sorry:eek: I have 2 trangias, ciivy and army and neither of them had string on them????? :confused: could be a bit of seal come loose but really perplexed by that!! Rik is good on stoves, ask him!

EDIT, awful spelling mistake!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
The trangia burner has a double wall - If you look at the bottom of the central 'well' there are usually a couple of notches to allow the meths to travel from the central well to the space between the inner and outer walls where it gets vaporised by the heat to produce the gas-jet effect from the small holes around the rim.

Inside the double wall is a 'wick' that soaks up the meths - That'll be where the 'string' is from ( I have a similar 'thread' showing in an unused Swedish army burner I have). You'll notice when you first fill an empty trangia burner, if you wait a bit before lighting it, the fuel level in the central well will go down as the meths is soaked up by the wick inside the double wall ;)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The best thing about Trangias is that they pack away neatly to go in the loft - so you can then forget about them!

I'm sorry, but I despise the things and do tend to bang on about it!

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE