trangia fuel mix?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Any combustion in which the fuel-oxygen ratio is as uncontrolled, as it is in the likes of a spirit burning stove such as a trangia, is never going to result in 100% combustion of the volatiles.

This is a result of among other things the fact that the unburnt products are able to escape, along with the loss of heat to the surrounding surfaces and environment, and as you say Graham O through light. So there will always be an amount of soot produced.

Smokey fires though are hotter, this is fact. The soot particles increase the radiant heat surface area of the flame. It is often problematic particulary when dealing with fossil fuel fires as seen recently at the Buncefield fuel depot. The majority of the fire fighting resources were directed towards cooling the flames so that the fire base can be reached and so the radiant heat did not cause the surrounding tanks etc to ignite.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
gregorach said:
All my cookware also gets used on campfires, so it's all black already... What's the big deal?
totally agree, why waste time cleaning the outside of cookware, i put hexy blocks in my trangia burner and beer stove too, to stop the ground getting burned,

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
scruff said:
lol! or just throw it in a carrier bag!

lol
yes we can stick it in the dish washer when we get home

complete obvious one to most of you but shortly after using the pan
idealy straight off the cooker/heat just rub on grass a few times most of the caked soot will instantly be off pan (get it before it cools and saves on wire wool).

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Greenheat? I'll be interested to hear how it works in the trangia - it's been roundly cursed by a number of people as a fuel for the Crusader cooker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE